New Parker/wood construction.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benclark357

Reaction score
Hi y'all. Just purchased a new 2501 CC. Wasn't worried about wood construction until I starting reading more posts. Was wondering how concerned I should be about wood rot and what I can do to prevent it. Any thoughts?

When you say you just purchased a "new" 2501, do you mean "new to you " or actually "brand new". If it is actually brand new, you will never have anything to worry about (as long as your smart with any upgrades/mods)

If you mean "new to you" you probably still have nothing to worry about but go through this site and you will see a few potential areas of concern typically caused by previous owners mistakes.

Some of the most highly respected boat manufacturers have wood, grady white, Carolina classic, albermarle....... And many others. Parker wouldn't use wood if they were worried about rot. Just my opinion, hope it puts you at ease.

By they way, I bought my 19 year old parker last year and have no known wood rot and I've been through it pretty good.

New or old pull the pie cover plates off the floor and keep that 0-ring lubed. I silicone my plates. In winter time I use duck tape. Also duck tape the gas cover if outside storage in winter. That also has a 0-ring also. That O-ring should be replaced every year. Having water in gas tank is worst then water in wood. If the boats old take off all the rods holders and seal the wood and silicone them back on. Only held by 3 wood screws. Maybe they are nut and bolts. I forgot. Lots of luck with your new boat. You have a CC. Tighten down the bolts on floor for T-top. That is a spot that water can get into the wood floor. I would even silicon that plate. Keep the hole clean in the anchor storage box.

Thanks for the tips! Should have specified that the boat is brand new - just looking for ways to prevent future structural issues.

Then all you need to do is pop pie plates. They leak and the water gets on top of gas tank. The close cell foam will get wet. A lot of guys replaced them. I would pop them off and put a bead of silicone. Not on the o ring. Plate meets the floor deck. I wish I know this when I bought my boat new. Most of my water came from washing the boat. Finding Classic Parker was the best thing. Guys here are great.

If you want to go overboard, pull off every piece of bedded hardware that's on wood cored panel, overdrill the holes, fill with epoxy, redrill and rebed.

Aside from that, just be good about your preventive maintenance. Look closely at your bedded hardware every year and rebed things that don't look right...or rebed them even if they do. Keep the hull ventilated.

Not to change the topic but what is the size of pie plates on 1801? My boat is 6 hours away from me now and I want to buy and install new plates. Who is a manufactirer for them and bilge hatch? Thank you.
Mike

Fishaddict":r0g8cve8 said:
Not to change the topic but what is the size of pie plates on 1801? My boat is 6 hours away from me now and I want to buy and install new plates. Who is a manufactirer for them and bilge hatch? Thank you.
Mike
Do a search on here. I would wait and pop one off. West marina had them.

Recently purchased a 2016 and there is a life time warranty that came with mine regarding wood rot. I am hoping you saw this on yours too.

On a side note, when people mention sealing the pie covers, wouldn't it be best to let them breath rather than sealing them 100% shut?

Sealand, people are not referring to sealing the pie lids shut. I believe they mean seal the housing that the pie lid screws into that is mounted to the floor as well as make sure the rubber O'RING (that wraps around the pie lid) is in good condition. I don't know for certain (as my boat is 19yrs old) but I would imagine that Parker already does that on new boats and they may already seal the cutout with epoxy which would prevent any wood from being exposed.

If you keep the wood dry it will outlive you. But keeping anything on a boat dry 100% of the time is quite a challange. Wood is still popular on new boats because it holds up pretty well for the first 10-20 years. Its a shame more havent gone wood free because there are many excelent composites available now.

the project parker I'm working on had a soft floor and a wet transom. I replaced both with composites and the new floor and transom should be good for the next 50 or 100 years. It cost me about $1200. more than if I used wood but I like the peace of mind and figure it will get it all back one day when I sell.

But back to preventing rot I would verify that every hole,bolt and screw are properly sealed. Dont assume because its new it was done right.

On a positive note there were dry sections on my 20+ year old deck that were still 100% strong and solid. Keep that wood dry and it can last a long time also.

I'm sure someone will correct my statement if this is not accurate.

The majority of the boats that had rot issues were build probably 20 something years ago. Not to say it still can't happen. Respectable boat builders continue to perfect their construction techniques.

Industry seems to be leaning towards composite materials more. But that doesn't mean they are perfect. From what I've read a composite material can still crack and delaminate. Delaminations and cracks can also occur in metals. I know this for a fact because I have been in ship repair for 20 years.

No form of fabrication is perfect. They all have draw backs. Remember all boats suck in one way or another. If the boat is engineered and constructed well it should be free of major repairs for a long time.

I believe Parker has a top notch quality control program. Parkers also have a good resale value in my area. Another reason I chose them.

Enjoy your boat and take care of it and it will take care of you.

Back