New Powerhead or New Motor

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireman

Reaction score
I'm looking for some guidance.

The reputable mechanic at my marina has given me an approximate $7000 estimate to put a new (not re-manufactured) power head on my 1997 Yamaha OX66 250 that's mounted on a 1994 2320 Extended Cabin. This price is for the power head, injectors being cleaned, new water pump, possibly a new oil pump, other misc. items if they need servicing and/or replacing and all labor. He said this is worst case scenario and that he didn't want to come to me with additional costs after the job got started. Cost could possibly be lower...not my luck though.

Question...

Do I have this done or purchase a brand new motor for the boat? If I should get a new motor, which make and model? I'm still learning and have very limited knowledge of all the different models available out there today.

This is where my homework begins on this step of the process.

Thanks for your suggestions and guidance.

Dont do it!!!!

7k, thats too much......look on line for motors used my buddy just bought a 2003 ox66 225 with 480 hrs in mint condition for $5200

he unbolted the entire unit and did a water pump and its runs mint !!!

THe going rate to rebuild a ox 66 225 is 4800-5400 but there r some great deals out there

I agree with Reely... That is a bit high.
I would shop around for a lightly used 225 or 250 with a warranty.

$5000 of that cost is for the new power head. He said a re-manufactured power head would cost around $3800-$4200.

I'm kind of nervous about looking for a good used motor. That's what came with this boat, a "good used motor" that hasn't had any problems. And 2 months later look which boat I'm in now...no pun intended.

I'm listening to the suggestions though. I would consider used if I found a very reputable source that would give me a warranty.

Back