new to Parkers...Question on Mod V or Deep V hulls

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbrown409

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and considering purchasing a Parker this year (Almost pulled the trigger last year but holding off a year made it a bit less stressful financially and allowed us to look a a slightly larger boat). We are strongly considering a 2520 XL with a single F300. Last year we looked at a 2320 sl which had a 21 degree dead rise... the 2520 XL has 16 degrees of dead rise vs. the 2520 XLD which also has 21 degrees... So here's my question, for my purposes which would be mostly fishing and cruising long island sound and the occasional run out to Block Island or Montauk which hull will suit me better?

I'm sure this is a question that has been beat to death over the years and I apologies in advance

Captaining - very important - as much as general sea conditions. IMHO, and to try to keep this reply very general, nutshell summary is deeper deadrise will run smoother but will rock more at rest/drift.

For me, deadrise equates to a simple ratio of "running time vs. being there time". I purchased my 23se (mod V) for the simple fact that 95% of the time its used - we're running <20% of the time (1/2 hour out, 1/2 hour back) and then moving slowly about or at drift or on anchor >80% of the time (4 hours+). I also have a bro that's wheelchair bound so a lot of the time he's along and the added stability of the 23se mod V at rest is priceless.

Maybe you like to run far but you are a "fair weather fisherman" and only head out on nice, calm days (?) Maybe the skinny water ability, added fuel economy, or added stability at rest of the mod V is good for you (?) Maybe you head out in rougher conditions and you are regularly running far, always moving from here to there, never much at rest - then maybe the deeper V (more deadrise) is better for your needs. Its a tool in the tool box. Think about what you will be using the boat for more often and the advantages of one deadrise over the other and try to see what matches up best. I would not expect a perfect match. This is why I have more than one boat (different tools for different jobs).

If I had to pick one hull knowing what I do about Long Island Sound, Montauk, Block Island - I'd probably go with the 21 degree.

Both are extremely seaworthy hulls regardless.

I have been very happy with my mod-V which is a 14 degree. I'm not as familiar with your waters, but where I am at there is usually a 1-2' chop on the water. My boat needs are wide ranging, I routinely run 65mile in one way trips, but I also spend a large amount of time drifting for halibut and trolling for salmon. the mod-v is nice on the fuel and stable at rest, but with the use of tabs I can stay on step in a 6' chop when I get stuck in the weather. I think the 2520 with either hulls and a 300 hp outboard is a great utilitarian boat. I find even with 4 guys, fishing gear, crab gear, and supplies to build my cabin mounded over on the back deck, I can still cruise in the 25- 30mph range economically.

I appreciate all the input...Frankly I'm still torn...Long Island sound is a pretty unique piece of water if anyone is familiar with the area I'd love to get your opinion. I understand the concept of the 2 different hull designs but I'd be curious to know what folks are running in this area and why... The sound is unique in that one min. its smooth as glass the next you have 3-4' chop... you never know what you are going to run into...I guess the majority of my time would be spent fishing and drifting on short runs but the 0ccasional 1.5-2.5 hour runs to Block or Montauk to fish deep water wouldn't be out of the question.

Also there is the issue of getting on plane....as the dealer advised the mod v will get on plane faster and at slower speeds. His argument was that if it gets rough and you want to slow down the Deep V likes to run at 22 mph to stay on plane vs the mod v running at 14 mph to stay on plane. His argument was that the mod v allows you to run slower when you need to slow down due to conditions....thoughts?

kbrown409":2vjsfhh3 said:
Also there is the issue of getting on plane....as the dealer advised the mod v will get on plane faster and at slower speeds. His argument was that if it gets rough and you want to slow down the Deep V likes to run at 22 mph to stay on plane vs the mod v running at 14 mph to stay on plane. His argument was that the mod v allows you to run slower when you need to slow down due to conditions....thoughts?

Your dealer is correct. While the deep vee can go faster in rough water it takes more power and fuel to do so. Also, conditions might not always allow you to run at 22 mph just to stay on plane. That is where you need to decide if a slower and not so rough transit suits your boating style.

I have the older 14 degree modified vee hull and run in the (in)famous Chesapeake Bay chop. When conditions really get snotty, I can continue on plane as slow as 9 knots and not get beat up by using motor trim and my replacement 24x9 trim tabs. In flat water, I have seen 34 knots at WOT being pushed by a single 225 hp OX66, so I'm OK with those levels of performance.

Both hulls have their advantages. The way you run them in your local conditions will determine your level of happiness.
Just remember... these are big, wide fishing vessels with huge cockpits. They are not SKA race boats.

kbrown409":1x6z8kf6 said:
I appreciate all the input...Frankly I'm still torn...Long Island sound is a pretty unique piece of water if anyone is familiar with the area I'd love to get your opinion. I understand the concept of the 2 different hull designs but I'd be curious to know what folks are running in this area and why... The sound is unique in that one min. its smooth as glass the next you have 3-4' chop... you never know what you are going to run into...I guess the majority of my time would be spent fishing and drifting on short runs but the 0ccasional 1.5-2.5 hour runs to Block or Montauk to fish deep water wouldn't be out of the question.

I have 10 seasons and 1200+ engine hours on my Parker 2520 Mod-V with 16 degree dead rise. All of it operating out of Mystic CT into Block and Rhode Island Sounds, occasionally deep water further South. Roughly 80% of my time is spent SCUBA Diving on shipwrecks, the rest fishing. The boat has been awesome and has stood up extremly well to some hard use and heavy loading of lots of dive gear.

Here are the facts coming straight from hands on experience. The Mod-V will run about 33KTS wide open with an F225 and will cruise about 22 at 4600RPM. I track my hours and fuel burn fairly closely and being a 30 year military and commercial aviator, things like time, distance, fuel burn etc are rather familiar to me. I run 40 minutes at idle every trip getting in and out of my slip, the rest of the time I am between 4200-4600 RPMs. I average a 7.75 gallon burn per hour and this has been consistent for the ten years I have run the boat.

The boat is GREAT on the drift, absolutely PERFECT and I have fished and dove in some really snotty weather.

Now the $64,000 Question.... THE RIDE??

OK now I did say I LOVE my boat. Occasionaly I get the upgrade bug looking at used Parker 28s or the 34 but the thought of selling my Parker would be like getting rid of a loved dog, the boat has been GREAT.......BUT.......I can not lie, when you are running into a head sea she POUNDS. There are some effective techniques to improving the ride such as trimming the nose down with both tab and engine trim but she is still gonna give you a rough ride and there are many times when anything over 12-14Kts is going to be very uncomfortable. It's just the facts, I like/love most things about my 2520 MOD-V, room, fuel economy,ruggedness/durability all EXCELLENT but she POUNDS into a head sea and there is simply NO denying it.

Fact is there are vastly more choppy days in Block, Rhode and Long Islamd Sounds then there are calm days. Your Parker equiped with a cozy pilot house will allow you to operate April-November (or longer if your marina stays open) and IMO there are more days the deeper V (aka 21 degree dead rise) will be worth the extra fuel burn and horsepower you will need to push it then what is gained in terms of cost/economy of operating the Mod-V.

I absolutely STOLE my boat when it was a year old and had 39 hours on it. It was just too good of a deal to pass up and as sated above, I have been very satisfied BUT if I was negotiating a deal on a new rig with the intent of operating in Block, Rhode and Long Island Sounds, knowing what I do now, there is no question in my mind I would go with the Deep-V with either a single 300 or twins with a closed transom and a bracket.

If your budget permits go with the DEEP V.

Best accessory you can buy is a Raymarine Evolution-200 Autopilot. I used my boat twice as much after installing the autopilot then I did before. Nothing makes a 2-3 hour voyage in a small boat more enjoyable then not having to constantly hold the boat on course.

Best of luck, Parkers really are GREAT boats and I love mine....

I don't have either one but I would go with the 2520XLD. The 2320 is 21 degree but 8'6" wide and the 2520 is the same 21 degree but 9'6" wide. It's not exactly a Regulator is the point. Go deep V for what you have mentioned would be your use.

I have a 2014 2320 with a single F250. Great boat and happy with the ride. Check into the F300. I have heard that the only way you get the HP with F300 is by using premium gas.
I keep my boat at my dock in the water year round in Channel Island harbor in the Ventura Calif area and gas up at the flue dock which has only regular gas.

If what I have heard is correct, is the F300 worth the extra cost.

Bruno Tonin

Most of my boating is island-hopping from Martha's Vineyard, the Elizabeth Islands, occasionally Nantucket. My 25 Deep-v would get knocked around at times so I couldn't imagine doing in a lesser dead-rise hull. Truth be told, they do use more fuel but you knees and lower back will thank you for getting the deep v. my 2-cents...

I know the area you fish as I grew up in Sheepshead Bay, and fished out east a lot. That being said I would go with the DV, it will give you a better ride. As far as fuel goes you must use mid-grade fuel 89 octane with a F 300. Here in NJ if you buy your fuel at a marina they are selling mid grade anyway, there is no "regular 87" for sale. I have kept a close eye on fuel consumption and you will be getting about 2 miles per gallon on average.
My 2015 has a 179 gallon tank, I was at the boat show in Ac yesterday and saw that the 2016 now has a 156 gallon tank. I am not sure if they changed the tank size or reduced the capacity because of the large charcoal filter they are required to install now. I can tell you the last 10-15 gallons is a real PITA, you must trickle it in or the pump will constantly kick off. I try and squeeze in as much as possible when making a canyon run which is 70-80 miles each way.
I love this boat and it rides like a tank, had a great first season and can't wait to get back in the water

Hi kbrown,

I own a 2003 2120 pilothouse (21 degree deadrise) and live in Niantic which routinely gives me access to the exact waters you are inquiring about. During the season I generally go out a few times a week as well, so I am definitely familiar with the local waters. You will most certainly want the deep v over a modified hull, as Parkers are not known to be the best riding boats to begin with. I wouldn't say they are terrible riding boats, but between not having a super sharp entry and riding very far forward in the pilothouse, you definitely feel a lot of motion. I have fished all the local reefs, the race, taken trips up to stonington, and rides around fishers island and can definitely say the deep v is the best choice for long island sound. On an average day, LIS is notorious for its 1-2 ft tightly packed chop that can pound you pretty well, especially if its windy or there is a lot of boat traffic. There are definitely calm days where you can run the boat out fast, but they are a lot less likely then the rough days. If you are thinking of going out to block island especially I would definitely say to get the deep v as the waters can get extremely rough on the ride there (4-6 ft+). I'm sure a few others can chime in and I say all this with all due respect to the modified v owners. They are both great boats and you can't really go wrong either way, but you will definitely have a more comfortable ride in the deep v and for how you want to use the boat I think it makes the most sense. Best of luck with the decision.

-Brett

You want the 21 degree dead rise!

I grew up in RI and have many hours on the water in Narragansett Bay and RI sound. My current boat is a 2013 Parker DVCC and I also own an 18' Jones Brothers.

If you want to stay in the bay then a mod vee would be fine. If you want to run in the sound and offshore, then the deep vee will give you more days on the water and a much better ride.

My 23 DVCC gets about 3 MPG at cruise, so the fuel required to push a DV is not bad. A four blade prop will also help reduce your minimum planing speed if that is a concern.

Keep in mind that the 8'6" beam Parkers probably ride a bit better than the wider boats. The length to beam ratio is larger on the shorter boats. The 23 sits at a sweet spot for ride because of the length to beam ratio. The 25 footers are wider and that room is useful inside, but it also comes at a cost to the ride.

I guess the deep V is the way to go....this probably explains why the boat I'm looking at is a leftover...thanks for the information. The sales person was really pushing the fact that I'd be better off with the mod V. I 'd hate to save a couple bucks up front just to find out it was the wrong decision in the long run.

Boats are sort of like Corvettes.
The best one, is the one you own. :wink:

As stated a thousand times here, it's all about the tradeoffs! Define your needs and then pick the boat that best fits but remember there will be pros/cons regardless. I also have the 14 degree MV. For me, I fish exclusively inshore and mostly at anchor so stability was more important than ride. I also wanted a single motor to maintain and dare I say this on a boating forum, I wanted the notch transom for better fishability with handling fish in and around the stern of the boat.

You have to remember the heritage of these boats...they were initially designed for commercial use, not for recreational offshore runs. Commercial guys look for economy and durability. Back in those days, the 25 Sou'westers were powered with 200's or less. It's pretty impressive to think a 9'6" beam 25+' foot boat powered by an engine of that size. The boats caught the attention of the recreational market and the rest is history. But the platform basically remains the same although they did respond to increasing the deadrise to 16 with a slightly sharper entry than the original hull design.

Good luck!

Well think I may actually be leaning towards the 2015 left over mod v at this point but mainly because the dealer informed me that a comparably equipped and powered 2016 Deep V is about $30k More ....Frankly it puts the whole thing out of my budget..... :shock:

Check out the attached article on the history of the Parker 2520. It's been posted here before but highlights the heritage:

Attachments

• 08 MAR ONBOATS.pdf
    150.9 KB · Views: 99
jpg1969":2lvotzg8 said:
Check out the attached article on the history of the Parker 2520. It's been posted here before but highlights the heritage:
Thanks that was a great read....it inspired a little more confidence in the mod V....It would appear that the solution to the problem could mainly be remedied by me gaining some boat handling skills.... :oops:

Back