Newbie here - considering boat upgrade, would like opinions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grey2112

Reaction score
Howdy there - wife and I recently became new boaters (bought our first boat in December of 2011) and have been kicking ourselves for not doing this sooner. We live in the Tampa Bay area and the majority of our fishing is limited to about 10-15 miles within shoreline and 40 feet of water, on good calm days. We have gone to the Keys a few times trailering the boat as well. We have a KeyWest 196 BayReef with 150hp Johnson 2-stroke that pops up on plane at about 18 mph, and we normally cruise at 28-30 mph at 3500 rpm and get around 2.25-2.5 mpg

We've discovered that:

1 - We like fishing further offshore (grouper, snapper, etc. - and the times we've been in the Keys we've wanted to go out further to get dolphin, etc.) - but our boat is not capable of going to far out unless on VERY calm days. The wife is 46 and doesn't like getting banged and battered around in chop - I can take it better, but I'm not getting any younger either and I can foresee a time where it will bother me as well. Running a 19 foot open bayboat/center console in rough conditions isn't fun. Our inshore/flats/lake fishing is now almost nil - just don't care for it that much.

2 - I got into SCUBA diving and spearfishing, and it is a tight fit to get 2 divers and the wife on the boat. I'd like to be able to take a total of 3-4 divers and the boat out and have room on board for gear, landing speared fish (AJ, Cobia, etc.) Plus the ability to go out further to wrecks offshore without having to go on "perfect" days would be nice.

3 - The wife mentioned how nice it would be for us to go out (either far or close in) and spend the night on a boat - so having the room to lay out an air mattress under a canopy, or have a berth and a head or portapotty would be nice. Some room for a campstove so we can cook. Just the two of us.

4 - I realize I may need to upgrade my truck - I'm fairly certain I can find a good used F250 and trade my 2 year old F150 V6 with 8000 miles on it for it - it can only tow 6500 pounds. I may lose a year or two on the F250 and a bit of miles, but the extra towing capacity will be a big help as I know the replacement boat will be much heavier.

I had thought about pilothouse style boats, but still am not quite sure - obviously they look like they would offer a lot of the things we want, but the weight and how they ride in the water may be a concern - I have heard they can really pound you due to the pilothouse being so forward and heavy. I'm also 6'1 and don't know if I would be a good fit for the overhead clearance. But given our conditions in the Gulf and the fact that we would still more than likely not go out unless conditions were pretty nice, this may not be a huge concern.

You guys are a lot more experienced than me so I'd appreciate any advice. Definitely going to be a used boat. I like the idea of a single outboard engine. I'm thinking 23 foot might be minimum , and would be willing to consider a 25-28 foot as well. Don't know if a cuddy-cabin or semi-enclosed cockpit may be something to consider vs. the pilothouse style. I've started lookng at C-dory, Steiger, Parker, Judge, Maycraft, Stamas, Grady White, Pro-line.

Well, welcome aboard ... you non-Parker owner you ;) ! That's most certainly is quite a list of needs and wants and then even worse ... there's a TON of options for you. But it sounds like - to me - that either a CC or ideally a CC with a doghouse 'mini-cabin' over/around the helm might be ideal.

With a CC, you have lots of open deck for the scuba gear and the helm is typically in the rear 3rd of the boat, and not the forefoot or front 1/3rd as a Parker cabin model is. And while there's a few tall guys here with cabin boats, only you can decide if your height is an issue.

Now usually people from FL ask us about how HOT the cabin gets? When most find out it is actually cooler and provides some shade.

But it does sound to me like a deeper-V (at least 21-degrees) open boat with a hard structural cabin would be ideal for your use. And you know Parkers, while 'bare' to some, they are IDEAL platforms for customizing! I tell you, TomS here has their 21' deep-V CC and she is a BEAST and handles seas far outside what a typical boat that length should ... due to sheer weight and a great design.

Maybe customizing a used 23' deep-V CC Parker would be best for you! I'd buy a good used hull ... and would throw a new Suzuki DF 250 on the stern .... ;) , then slowly use it and customize it as you need to, or as can afford to.

Thanks for the ideas, Dale. It will be quite some time (maybe 1-2 years tops) before we pull the trigger due to finances, wife's health/surgery, etc. - but this gives us some time to research, maybe do some tag-alongs on people's boats, boat shows, and "tire-kicking" (hmm, or is that "gunnel kicking"?) of some boats nearby for sale. Honestly, 95% of the time it will be just me and the wife onboard, so if we are occasionally tight with 1-3 other people onboard it won't be a huge issue - if they don't like, they can buy their own boat - LOL.

You mentioned the word WIFE...make sure to find something with an enclosed head. (don't ask me how I know this...) :lol:

Photoguy":34dqpmns said:
You mentioned the word WIFE...make sure to find something with an enclosed head. (don't ask me how I know this...) :lol:

..........all my girls are bucket trained because they know who has to clean it. :mrgreen:

But they do use the curtain partition up front or hold up a beach towel for privacy.

We just put a kitchen trash bag in the head as a liner with a little bit of oil dry. At the end of the trip the biggest contributor pulls the bag, throws it away and puts in a new bag with absorbent. Started doing this while working on a boat for an environmental company years ago.

Welcome aboard grey2112. We are also from the Tampa Bay area and previously owned a rough riding 19' Key West. First, we purchased a larger truck then looked for a larger boat, we looked at many makes and wanted something that could we could ride out the storm in, by the way I'm 6'2" and no problem in the cabin. Once we stepped on a Parker we knew that was the boat for us! Only problem, had to lose the new Tundra and get a Cummins to pull it with. Also keep in mind that being over-width on the road requires a oversized permit, not a big deal but will limit you in some ways. Look at as many boats as you can, the thing I really like about the Parker is the fact that you can easily access all components for servicing. So many boats we looked at you can't even see the bilge pump and such. Our modified V is not the smoothest or fastest ride out there, one day were passed by another Parker that seemed to not have a problem with the rough seas. It had twin outboard's, assume it was a deep V. But hey, on a good tide we can still fish the flats! Good Luck!

Awesome - thanks for the advice, Jim. As much as I love our KW, it just won't do for us what we want for the future. Luckily I'm in a position where I can afford to wait 1-2 years before pulling the trigger, which will allow us to take care of the truck first and then start looking hard and heavy for the next boat.

One thing you will not find....is a High selection of Parker Pilothouse boats in FL.....Oh they are here, but far and few between.

I'm in Pensacola and imported one from Maine.

I'll disagree with Dale on the aspect of dive gear and a CC. The Pilohouse cockpit works great and there is a 2520 here that runs dive charters.

If it's camping you want [me too] Start looking at the 2530's. The 2520's look sawed off to me now. :D

Headroom is 6'-4".

Back