Non boat Talk forum?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
I just realized there's no forum to talk about non boat stuff.

I'll try this and see if any of the Mods scold me. 8)

Do unloaded magazines have to be stored in a separate container when transporting your handgun in checked luggage????

I know the firearm and ammo does.

Going out of town and prefer to have my "item".

As long as the ammo and guns is separate baggage the empty clips are OK. All handguns need to have locks installed. In Md ammo needs to be in locked storage separate from the guns when you travel. In autos ammo can be locked in the glove box and the guns in the trunk. Most police will not hassle you in the country as long as the gun is unloaded and ammo not in your reach, but if you get near the city they are more particular. There is some gray areas and I would call the particular airlines and be sure to avoid hassles at the airport. Make sure you declare the weapons at the baggage check before entering the airport.

Yes, definitely check your airlines AND the State you're traveling to. As is, NOT all of the States have reciprocal license-to-carry recognition. Like this ultra-liberal State of Mass ... that once started as the cradle of Liberty :roll: .

Also, it was my decision not to have an off-topic forum. I have seen far too many once great sites go down the tubes and I sure don't want CP turning into THT.

DaleH":17zqv789 said:
Yes, definitely check your airlines AND the State you're traveling to. As is, NOT all of the States have reciprocal license-to-carry recognition. Like this ultra-liberal State of Mass ... that once started as the cradle of Liberty :roll: .

Also, it was my decision not to have an off-topic forum. I have seen far too many once great sites go down the tubes and I sure don't want CP turning into THT.

OK. Thank you. I understand and agree. Lot's of other places to go to for trash talk. :lol:

Last Aug I flew back to Montana for a wedding. We also did some hiking and fly fishing in the high-country. I put a big honking bear-mangler pistol in a locked case, along with the ammo. The cylinder was removed from the frame for shipping. Checked it in at Baltimore Washington International, picked it up at Bozeman. On the way back I did the same. No hassles.

But...check with the airline you will be flying for any specific guidance.

Dave

aka

most guns I've seen in South Carolina, Florida, Louisiana all are loaded and in that little box between the two front seats. I guess guns aren't goning to be taken away just ammo.

Not only do you want to check with the airlines you will be traveling on, get it in writing. I have read a couple of horror stories about people traveling with pistols. GET IT IN WRITING. Understand the protocol. The ticket agents and local Homeland Security agents may not be familiar with the rules and err on the side of caution out of ignorance.

Okay, so here's the skinny. The TSA has it's guidelines but each airline can have a different set of guidelines so you have to check with the airline.

Southwest - firearm must be secured in a lockable hard case, using TSA approved locks. Those are the one's with the little red airplane symbol on them. Those locks have a "key" receiver that TSA personnel can use to unlock your locked hard case.

The locked hard case can be left in an unlocked soft case, or if you lock the soft case, you must have the TSA lock on it.

It must be checked. Duh.

If you secure the firearm in hard side luggage, you don't need a separate hard case.

Ammo can remain in magazine, IF magazine is secured in a container that covers the primer.

The magazine can be stored in the same container as the firearm, IF the container has a special cut out for such purpose.

Heading out tomorrow to go pick up a new toy and ride it back. We'll see what happens.....

Back