Not the start I wanted ..........

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannibal

Reaction score
Was a bachelor this weekend so I used the time to tinker with the boat. I decided to splash the boat on the river so I could swap out the old trailer rollers for new ones. Knocked that out in under an hour - much easier that I thought.

Being that I had a couple hours to kill, my brother and I were going to go for a quick ride across the river to pick up new 2012 stickers. About 1/3 of the way across, the motor starts sputtering and surging. Seemed real weak at the throttle. By just short of 1/2 way, my brother and I were looking at each other with a bit of concern. With both of us on the boat, we'd have no one on shore to "tow" us back should the motor quick. As such, we swung a 180 and docked her out back of his inlaws place.

Thinking it's probably some water in the gas or normal "first time" issues after a long winter's rest - I opted to let her sit and idle for a while I was hopeful that running her would burn off some of the bad fuel and/or collected oils.

After about 30 minutes of idle - I came down the dock (and she was still running) and saw a bit of slick behind the boat. Nothing drastic but enouh to see. At this point, I shut her down - let her cool off and then yanked her out onto the trailer (the rollers didn't solve my loading straight problem BTW).

The next day (sunday), my father in law came down and we pulled the cover to do some investigation. Upon cracking open the fuel/water superatar, a good bit of water seeped out at the seal. We then dumped the contents out into a bucket and both commented that it didn't smell very "gas like". AFter only a few minutes, you could see the gas and water start to seperate

Problem #1 - there seems to be a good bit of water in there. I left the boat 3/4's full over the winter and did treat it but I apparently didn't treat it enough or I needed to have more gas in the tank to eliminate the air/condensation.

Secondly, we pulled the intake cover and immediately noticed a good bit of oil (not like blowby or anything) inside the cover and on the intake ports. Excuse my terminology if inaccurate - I am more "car" than "boat". This led me to believe that some of the oil had pooled over the winter and collected on the lower end of the intake cover and was ultimately fed through the system. Likely means I have a few fouled plugs (one on the starboard side - lowest one down was crappy looking) and not getting good detination. Couple that with the water in the fuel - I am suprised she started at all.

Problem #2 - collection of oil. I have to figure out how to clean the cover out real good and then wipe down the intake ports.

Looks like a general tune up will solve the problem with the oil/intake. Was planning on replacing the spark plugs anyhow as part of my startup process - just didn't realize it would be so necessary. I also question if they were repalced before as part of my servicing (with my former problem marine mechanic).

Will also be replacing the water/fuel seperator, inline fuel filter and oil filter. Just have to get the part #'s. Replacing them all doesn't seem to be a big task at all.

As for the water in the gas. I will do some mor reading, but I am guessing some kind of water remover (Heat, etc) will be needed along with some good gas of higher octane.

Hopefully that will be the end of my worries.

Now .......... if I could only get the boat to load right!!!! Ha!

Did you fog your engine before storing for the winter? If so the excess oil is probably from that. Sounds to me like you found the real problem...water in your gas. Make sure you replace the water fuel separator with a drainable system like Racor.

Don't know. Maybe I said the wrong name. It will be a water reducer. I've emailed my marine mechanic (Envinrude dealer) to see what he recommends.

Hannibal":2zlmslkq said:
Don't know. Maybe I said the wrong name. It will be a water reducer. I've emailed my marine mechanic (Envinrude dealer) to see what he recommends.
HEET is pure alcohol, also called "gas dryer"... don't use it with your water problems. Pump the tank into jugs, you'll see the water in the stream. I pumped 40 gallons off my boss' SeaCraft, and burned it in the company van. I just poured it into a clear container, and got rid of the water portion.

Refill the tank, treat the crap out of it with StarTron, and change out all your filters. Hopefully, there's no residual issues.

Sorry to say this but if you have that much water in the gas, phase separation has already accured and no type of addititve is going to help.

Not knowing your situation first hand, I would pump out 6 gallons of gas into a spare can , discard that and re-assess the situation. If it clears up then you may be good to go but the worst thing you can do is push all that sludge through the engine.

Just my .02.

Spoke again with my father in law (who is a master mechanic of over 35 years) and he suggested pulling out about 1/2 the existing gas (I would say I have just under 3/4 tank) and dispose of it. Then refill/top off the tank with fresh gas (maybe even consider a higher octane).

He knows his stuff with regards to engines period ............ however, I understand marine is different than auto in some extents.

Does this seem like a logical step?

Can I simply unbolt at the pickup (I believe mine is sitting under one of the oval hatches on my deck) and run a siphon tube down? Keep the boat bow up so things should settle to the rear end bottom?

Hannibal":11maqqmz said:
Spoke again with my father in law (who is a master mechanic of over 35 years) and he suggested pulling out about 1/2 the existing gas (I would say I have just under 3/4 tank) and dispose of it. Then refill/top off the tank with fresh gas (maybe even consider a higher octane).

Does this seem like a logical step?

Can I simply unbolt at the pickup (I believe mine is sitting under one of the oval hatches on my deck) and run a siphon tube down? Keep the boat bow up so things should settle to the rear end bottom?

Yes.

The key is getting as close to the bottom of the tank as you can. If the boat is on the trailer you might be able to siphon off the main fuel line if you have no anti siphon valve in place. Or go the route you described. Good move to add new, higher octance gas. Obviously replace the filter, may want to get a few cheaper seirra ones and replace them a few times over that first tank of gas depending on condition.

Hi i had the same sort of fuel issue with the boat i just purchased it had water in tge fuel and dephasing going on. I had done that with running some of that old gas through it and topped it off with fresh fuel along with new water separator and in line filter.... it didnt help. I ended up buying one if the small electric fuel pumps from pep boys and disconecting the fuel line right from the engine and oumped out the whole tank then sucked fresh fuel through after that changed the filters again and spark plugs filled with fresh fuel and plenty of stabilizer and all seems to be good with it... i wouldnt suggest leaving any amount of contaminated fuel in it might just be a waist of the good fuel you are putting in thats what happened to me.

Back