Outriggers for 23se

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So we got the boat, as seen in new member section, starting to get setup for tuna season. Looking for suggestions on outriggers. A friend told me its all about the clips.??? Seen many boats with taco outriggers, anyone have experience with these? Wondering what kind to get, what to avoid, Im willing to spend a little money to get it right, do it right the first time and you wont have to do it again down the line. Also looking into reels, the local tackle shop told me they hate penn since china started to manufacture them, Ive heard from many people they are the best, any thoughts? We were thinking about two 80s and two 50s.

Thanks.

Morgan

what are you fishing for and how many lines do you want to run?

i run 5 solo off my 23SE with just outrodders in the forward rod holders.

Just got my hands on some 130vsx reels on custom rods for a great price. I think we may just run 3 lines this year and see how it goes, dont want to get in over my head. I know many people say the new pens are junk but Ive talked to a few guys here (and the GBF fishing is great here) and they still love them. Ill post pics if I manage to land one next summer, thanks for the advice gentleman.

dude are you going to be trolling with 130's for tuna?
that is an awfully beefy set up for school tuna especially if you are going to fight them stand up and on 130 class rods.
I use 130's when I am on the hook, or kite fishing for giants.
when I troll I will run 5-8 lines depending on my crew's ability to run the spread. Oftentimes I leave the helm to tweak my spread even with a capable crew.
and run 50's,70's and 2 80's. The 80's when running 8 rods only because I dont have more 50's or 70's.
I have caught 50-72 inch fish on beefed up 30's in the past. The class of fish that have been in the north east get bigger and bigger each year hence the no more 30's. I will use my 30's when I go to the canyons this summer. 50's will do you just fine.
I am no expert nor will I tell you how to run your rail road. But.... IMHO the 130 's are not going to be the right setup for you for trolling, especially if fighting the fish stand up.
welcome to the 23SE family and welcome to the painful yet rewarding addiction of tuna fishing.

Pimp

ps.... 2 13" black splashbar with 15" seaglass stinger is always in my spread when trolling.

From my experience, if you fish 130's you will not be fighting the fish standing up. Will be fighting out of a rod holder in the bow. Unless going for giants, that's just a lot of rod!!

We have also put aside our 30's until the schools bring in smaller fish. The "go to" rods are usually 50's with a fighting belt with back brace. Can bring in a big tuna and the smaller ones don't feel like you're bringing in a boot!

Yeah the 130s are too big for trolling, was told that, were goin to try live bluefish, chunk bait ect... I wanna go for the giants, probably getting a few 80s as well. Im new to this game and getting advice from a few people. We are going to get the outriggers as well, may as well go all the way, there are some big fish out there! Thanks again for all the advice, hopefully in a few months I can post a pic of my first tuna on the Parker!

:D

Okay, giants are a whole other game. Having 130's for those is good. I, personally, don't have the patience to sit out there kiting a bluefish for giants. I like the 60-inchers. Fun to fight standing up and plenty of meat!

Good luck out there! (June can't come fast enough, can it?)

You probably don't need anything bigger than a 50, unless all you do is fish for giant bluefin.
A 50 with a decent standup rod will get anything you'll run into including a 400lb blue marlin.
80's are just too heavy for a small boat. Maybe 1 for a planer on a short bent but with swivel tip.
You could probably use a 50LRS or a 70 for the planer if you like.

For any dolphin,wahoo,blackfin,yellowfin,whitemarlin,sailfish you'll run into a 30 with a stiff rod (30-50 lbs) is just fine.
I run 4 tld 30's with 300 yards of 50lb braid topshot with 40# mono to fill the spool on my rig.
Nothing short of a big blue one is going to cause you trouble.
Its a lot easier rig to handle on the boat. You can one hand a tld30. try that with an 80.

Finally, you can buy a 2 speed TLD 30 with a decent stick for less money than a Tiagra 50W.
Save your dough.

Morgan, you have received great advice on this site. I concur with the majority of using 50's, mine have stopped all giant BFT's Ive run across including a 300 lbr which hit the w,w,w,,,,w back long line. They are excellent standups for all other pelagics. For me the hardest lesson learned was having a game plan, i.e. who does what at hook up. Know what to do in different scenarios with you crew (what if's) strapping gear on, clearing lines, gaffing/roping, boat handling etc. Getting a clear understanding of who does what and when beforehand will get the fish onboard.

Concerning outriggers, I elected to purchase a set of Tigress wishbone 2' outriggers w, 19 Ft collapsible poles for what I thought was a good deal about 1600 plus intallation. The poles are good, but outriggers while functional have performed more like anodes. They rusted immidiately after initial use and continue to degrade quickly. Working with Tigress to warranty their product was a futile attempt, so I am waiting for them to fall off and hopefully matchup the bolt hole patterns to better quality wishbones.

Spend the money for quality when it comes to your outriggers, it will save you money and heartburn in the long run.

Good luck on your first BFT!

Attachments

• PIC_0733.JPG
    PIC_0733.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 544
If you are going to troll big spreader bars the Lee XS extra strong poles work well. You need strong riggers for 15X 15" squid rigs.
I had to reinforce the roof of my 2510 with a peice of 1/4" X 10" aluminum. Otherwise the rocking motion would have torn it apart. If you are fishiing the gulf of Maine most people use 130's in swivel rod holders as it is primarily a giant fishery.

good luck and beware....

jacksdad":2788rb26 said:
what are you fishing for and how many lines do you want to run?

i run 5 solo off my 23SE with just outrodders in the forward rod leds holders.

i just run 4 solo of my 23SE .... it really feels good... I'm pretty much in the forward rod holders.

Got some LD Marine gunnel mount outriggers with LD Marine 15' poles, had my welder mount them on the sides of the t top, out of the way. Simple setup but will work fine and is easy on the wallet. Picked up some rods reels and squid bars ect...on craigslist, all we need now is fish! Just got done wiring the leds under the gunnel for late night fun boating, should be wet in a week, just in time for the return of the Bass! Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Back