Painting trim tab.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgevazquez

Reaction score
I just installed 12x18 lenco trim tabs on my 21se and love them. The only problem is that my boat is always sitting in salt water, and the tabs are starting to get growth on them.
What is the proper procedure for painting them. I have a left over can of interlux primocon underwater primer, can I use this as the first coat? thanks in advance for your input.

. (SALTWATER ONLY) To deter electrolysis, a zinc anode should be attached to the top of each trim tab. Zinc must make direct contact with stainless steel. Do not paint zinc. Do not ground trim tabs to other underwater appendages.

. Paint trim tabs to discourage marine growth:
1. Clean surface of all grease, oil, dirt.
2. Apply two coats of epoxy metal primer.
3. Apply two coats of anti-fouling paint. Actuator, including the piston, may be painted.

. Unpainted trim tabs may acquire an orange discoloration. THIS OXIDATION
OF SURFACE CARBON MOLECULES IS NORMAL. The integrity of the stainless steel is not affected. Orange coating can be cleaned off, but may eventually return. Note: This discoloration should not be confused with the pitting and corrosion of electrolysis.

other tips at
http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/trimtabtips.php

I expect Lenco has the same info

georgevazquez":ewxz6swc said:
Now how easy was that? Thank you for your quick response.
Yes, but too bad it won't work ... to date I have tried 2 different painting methods on SS tabs and NONE have worked ... the paint just doesn't stick.

The only one I have not tried would be where an epoxy (read expen$ive) based primer coat was put on first ... Just don't waste your money on Primercon ... it sucks!

I use this, but like Dale said by the end of the year a lot of it is worn off but it does the job, not cheap either!

Attachments

• trilux.jpg
    trilux.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 576
Also, don't use zinc (Sn) anodes, use Aluminum/Indium alloy. There's a sticky in the Power, Tabs, and Trailers forum about this.

As for painting the SS, you can get it to stick, but you've got to prep the SS by profiling the surface (sand it or sandblast it)... its not worth it for the tabs. Trilux wears off like heck if you really care about keeping the growth off. We're going to try Ultima ECO from Pettit next year, as we've got several gallons from other projects.

Ok finally did this and I hope it lasts.
Pettie 6455/044 its a self etching wash primer used for SS One coat only as per directions. $39.95
Pettie 4700/4701 epoxy primer three coats as per directions. $37.95
Pettie vivid bright anti fouling paint three coats per directions $79.95
total with ship and hand was $177.84
the only left overs was the anti foul, the two other products were a two part epoxy and had a 5-10 hour shelf life after mixing.
that was a lot of work and money just for my tabs and actuators, ill keep you updated on how they last, remember im in the salt water 365 a year.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 472
Curious to see how that will work compared to the Trilux that I use. Not to happy with trilux the past few seasons.

Doubt it will stay.

Only sure fire way to get paint to stick, is leave the leftover barnacle rings and apply paint to those. :D

Them suckers really know how to stick to stainless steel, need to figure out what they use and put it in a can, I would be a millionaire. 8) 8) 8)

Trilux comes in spray cans too, if not tried. I use it on the outdrive too. Couple colors, they used to have clear.

Wow ,

I must be REEL Lucky.....
I have had my 2820 now for 4 yrs, every year i clean the tabs and i use the same paint......

46% copper ablative by Petit I leave my boat in from FEB 17th until December 15th EVERY year .......

NO , I repeat no growth on them at all ..... MAYBE IM JUST LUCKY but i have and will post pictures again !!!!!

Back