Parker 1801 on the Ches Bay?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltyfish

Reaction score
Would like to hear from 1801 owners if 1-2 footers on the Ches bay is ok, or possibly right at the limit of this hull (particularly for trolling), and whether 2-3 footers keep you at the dock. I want to get my wife on the bay, but wonder if the 1801 is going to limit her outings to near-perfect days (e.g. 5 mph wind, 1/2 footers) to feel comfortable. Also, pardon my ignorance, but will trim tabs do much for you in an 1801 at striper-type trolling speeds? I know there are no absolute answers to these questions, great hulls will usually withstand lots more than the captain/crew.

No doubt the Parker 21 SE or DV would address the issues I raise, but I boat alone much of the time, 21 SE's in my modest price range are few and far between. I also boat in Pamlico Sound (and fresh water 1-2X/year). JB Cape Fisherman 20 also on my wish list, but used ones rare and pricey.

Thanks gentlemen.

Bryce

It's more a question of your limits or your wife's limits than the boat's limits. One to two footers is not a problem for most 18 foot boats you might want to use as Bay fishing boats. There's often a chop just like that on the Bay. Unless you slow down, you'll get bounced around a lot.

As said earlier, it is more of a question of your limits. I have an 1801 and fish the CBBT and lower Chesapeake and I have had her to the light tower on occasion as well, all w/ no real issues. I own some serious foul weather gear and will take my Parker anywhere pretty much year-round. If I'm not coaching soccer, I am usually on the water. I downsized from a 23' w/a Proline as I primarily fish tributaries (Lynnhaven, James and Elizabeth, Hot Ditch) for inshore species. I will put her out at Oregon Inlet one of these days to fish the Green Island Slough. The platform is also wonderful for pulling the kids on tubes and the gas usage awesome. I fish off-shore w/ guys who have deeper hulls (21' Challenger, 32' Regualtor) the Challenger doesn't really have much more room but the 54 degree deadrise at entry makes it easier on snotty days.

I had an 18 foot Grady center console and I had no issues in on the bay in 3 foot or less. My wife on the other hand was not up to that. I found that her tolerance is much better in the Parker Sport Cabin.

Also, don't put her limits to the test on the first time. I unfortunately did that and we never got out of the river again.

Steve

I have an 1801 that I use anywhere in the ocean from Little Egg inlet to Atlantic City to the lower Barnegat Bay as well as all of Great Bay. We watched the AC airshow last summer from it anchored off the beach. My wife will tolerate a 1-2, after that I am on my own. Makes a great fishing platform for up to three, a perfect clamming boat and I slide it right on the beach for exploring.
90hp Johnson pushes it with great economy. If you are going to trailer a lot, do yourself a favor and get an electric winch.

Love the 1801 but it is a protected bay or river boat, not an ocean boat. Sure it's a novelty to hit the ocean or open chesapeake on a super nice day but that's about it. Folks saying 'i've done it' is not quite the same as saying 'great choice'.

JB's are, imo, lesser boats for several reasons not the least of which is beam and console design.

21SE is an easy boat to run solo. E A S Y. It is also a LOT more boat than the 1801. 1-2' chop shouldn't be a problem in the 1801 at all but i'd hate to sit home because the weather was marginal.

Novelty? Super nice days? I am not one of the idiots that I have seen in a 10' john boat at the 9' shoals at night-time or a 17' footer at the Norfolk Canyon. I've owned and operated boats from a 10' skiff to 23' w/a for the past 32 years and possess some knowledge of the Chesapeake as well as the open ocean. If the conditions are too snotty for my 1801, I highly doubt I would be saying "Man, 3 more feet of boat and I would be going!". Jumping up to a 23' now, that would be a significant mind-changer. Just my 2 cents worth.

I had a 1801 for 2 years and it was not enough boat for the Del. Bay unless it was flat calm. It has a narrow beam and a fairly flat bottom making it a rough ride in 2 ft. seas. I found it wet and uncomfortable in anything over 2 ft. Plus my wife stayed home most of the time. Take your time and look around this winter for a wider beam and a little longer boat. You will be glad you did. I now have a 2120 SC. It is all the boat my wife and I could ever need. My wife is now with me every trip.We both enjoy the comfort and privacy of the pilothouse. But there's only enough room for 3 people fishing.If you look long and hard enough you will find the right boat in your price range. Good luck with your choice.

I have a Parker 17' center console that I used for four years in Chesapeake Bay; usually putting in at Sandy Point or Annaoplis. Never really had any problems, though I have been caught on the other side of the bay and had to return in challenging conditions. Taking it slow and careful I never felt worried. That said, I also checked the weather and never headed out when it looked like waves were predicted to be over 2.5 or 3 feet.

Now that same Parker takes on just about anything Lake Winipesaukee can throw at it without hesitation, though sometimes getting the occupants a bit wet!

thanks CDG. Years ago I lived in MA and though I never made it to Winipesaukee, I heard many a story about ice fishing on it. Now looking far and wide for a ~10 year old 21 SE. Doing so on a modest budget, but you never know.

Back