Parker 21 dvcc with honda 150 performance issue

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reel Fun

Reaction score
I recently took a perfect performing yamaha 200 two stroke off and replaced it with a 2011 used honda bf 150. When we put the 150 on, it came with a stainless 19 prop. With a heavy load, it could barely get on plane. I went to the local prop shop and he sold me an aluminum 13 prop. With that, she got on plane plenty quick but the motor could turn it past the redline. I went back and got a 15 pitch prop. Got on plane but noticed lots of slippage - I could feel it hook when it was on plane and I pulled the throttle back. I assumed I needed to put it deeper in the water so i dropped it one hole (which is the lowest hole) but had the same problem of slippage. On top of all of this, I put a p-66 transom mount transducer on around the same time and I had to mount it closer to the bottom (not in front of the motor but closer than I am used to) of the vee due to other transducers, raw water wash pick up etc.

Does anyone happen to have a 21' dvcc with a honda 150 that can look at to see which hole they are mounted in and also the prop dimensions? Do you think the majority of my issue could be simply a poorly mounted transducer placement?

Thank you! Mike

Do you have any pics of the transducer mount Mike? I think our hulls are pretty much the same but not our motors so I can't help you with prop comparisons. Other guys here with the 150's should be able to though. In the meantime, check out thins link to guide your options on the prop size. Also, you can contact Ken at "Prop Gods" for help. Just Google it. I'm sure you knew that you were going to give up a decent amount of performance by going with the 4 stroke 150? Was the 200 old or did you just get a deal on that newer Honda 4 stroke? Good luck!

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/pro ... #/step-one

Thanks for the link - I will check it out! My boat is on my lift so I can get pictures tomorrow and post them. The more I think about it, the transducer has got to at least contribute to the problem. I will probably take it off, seal the holes and run it the next chance I get. Worst case I can put it back in the same holes if not a part of my issue.

Thanks!

Update - I could not get the pictures to load but I took the "problem" transducer off. It reduced the ventilation significantly. The prop is a 15" x 15" aluminum - the motor will run it to 6000 rpm with zero trim which gets about 34 mph on the gps.

Can anyone running a 150 hp motor on a 21 dvcc let me know what kind of speed you get wot? And, if you know your prop dimensions, that would be very helpful. As mentioned, i had a 19 pitch stainless steel prop on her to begin with - top end was better but it struggled to get on plane. Just wondering if a 17 pitch would be the sweet spot? Thank you! Mike

Based on your current performance numbers, it sounds like a 17 pitch will end up being the way to go. Question is should it be a 14.5 x 17 or a 15 x 17. Hopefully the guys with the 150's will chime in. Also, make sure you can just see the top if your AV Plate when running up on plane and properly trimmed. This will determine correct engine mounting hight. Check out this link.
http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=137.0

Thanks! I ran the prop search that you sent - It agrees with your thoughts on the 17! Hoping to have a 150 owner chime in for confirmation and I will go get one. I will also double check the height of the motor. I am on the lowest setting. From what I read, it looks like it needs to go up one. At least I feel like we are getting this corrected! Thanks!!

Plain and simple.....You don't have enough motor.

Sure it's a Great motor........On a smaller boat!

. The prop is a 15" x 15" aluminum
I'm sure this is a Typo.....

Props are listed : # of Blades X Dia. X Pitch. Written Example: 3 X 16 X 17

I'm sure there is no 15in dia prop available to fit a 150 Honda.

That is reserved for 200HP + motors. A 13 + or 14 maybe?

It is a three blade 15 x 15. While it may not be enough hp for you, I am trying to get it to be the best it can by asking owners of similar set ups. Just looking for facts here to help the cause. Thanks

Deep V boats like horsepower, though Parker does rig them with (current Yamaha) 150's as well as 200's.
http://parkerboats.net/blog/2100-center-console-new/
Check the tech bulletins on the web site at the link above and compare them to what you are seeing.

Since you reduced the horsepower and also hung a much heavier motor than the old 2-stroke, some prop evaluation will be necessary.
I'm not aware of anyone here with that hull and motor combination, but if there is I'm sure they will chime in.

In any case, you may have to settle for less performance after the re-power, even with the perfect prop.

I've not looked up the specs on this 150Hp Honda but don't many of the other guys here have the Yam 150 4S's on the 2120's? I prefer more HP also but I figured he would be OK? Bring me up to speed on what I'm missing.
Tks

I have a 2120 DV with a 150 Yamaha. My top end is 33. I saw your post top end was 34 but you were looking for more. I think that's about all your going to get. If I have to re power I plan on going 200 hp "something". My 150 is great on fuel but is certainly the bottom end of what this boat should have.

We have a 2013 Parker 2120 with a Yamaha F150 comes from the factory with a SS 14.5 x 15. Top speed is about 39MPH.

Sounds like a lot of u have the need for speed although I agree with the thrill of going fast a well controlled boat and one that fishes right is all I care about

Thank you Ben!

I am pretty well dialed in to the best of it's abilities. While she is slow, she is quiet and effecient. This is just my bay boat that rarely sees the ocean so the power is adequate and reliable!

Thanks to all for the help!

kidfreediver":135pon55 said:
Sounds like a lot of u have the need for speed although I agree with the thrill of going fast a well controlled boat and one that fishes right is all I care about

I don't look at it as the need for speed, although I do like to have it at my disposal when needed. To me, it's more about being able to get on plane without digging a hole to China while loaded with fuel and crew going against a 3 to 6 knot current, or just having enough power and torque to hold plane a slower speeds loaded. IMO, fuel economy is important but it shouldn't come at the expense of proper overall performance. I personally would rather have extra power vs fuel economy if I had to choose between them. Everybody's situation is different though, I have many occasions where I have 6+ people with me when we are just going to the island and beach for the day. I definately don't think my 2120 is over powered with the F225. These Parkes are well built and heavy boats. Combine that with a deep v hull and they need a little more power than comparable length boats from other brands. JMO.

Sorry to bring such an old post back to life but I finally got it figured. Luckily I banged up my 3 x 15 x 15 prop which turned out to be the best I could do. It was not great as I could hear the ventilation but could drop rpms then slowly raise power to not lose the traction. I took the damaged prop up to Fish at North Bay Marina (Propellor Fellors) and described my issues. He took from my hand, spot welded the damage and hammered it back to shape with extra cup. Look new minus paint in literally 4-5 minutes. Took it home and tried it - turns out the cup was needed to lift the stern as I have excellent hole shot and cruising speed (27 mph @ 4400 rpm), relatively speaking of course. Hope this helps someone!

nice, ! And thanks for the follow up. I feel so many times threads are started, and once the issue is resolved, the thread is left open ended. Glad to hear it worked out well. I own a 2120 w/ Yamaha f150 turning a Reliance prop and cruise at 27 mph/ 4500rpm and WOT is 37mph/ 5600 rpm. Plenty for this battle ax. PS: 150 fourstroke is plenty of power for a 21 DVCC or 2120 SC, just not going to win any speed races.

Back