Parker Adventure - Virginia to Connecticut

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan 2530

Reaction score
OK, heres the scenario.

My cousin is interested in a Parker in the Virginia Beach area. I don't know many specifics yet but the boat does not have a trailer. If he buys the boat we are thinking about running up the coast to Connecticut.

Now I have been as far south as Cape May, we ran through NYC and ran the outside of the Jersey shore.

What is the possibility of running up from Va. Beach this time of year for you guys that know the waters?

How much can we do on the ICW?

Any Parker brotherin that can help us along the way with dock space, fuel locations or beer run? Maybe meet up for a dinner and a barely pop along the way somewhere?

We are thinking about taking the train down and run the boat up, nothing nailed down yet so we need suggestions. Probably do it after christmas, maybe earlier depending on what happens.

:mrgreen:

Awesome idea! Best trip I ever did was on a 28 Albermarle from Myrtle Beach YC. The ICW is an incredible experience.

As for the Parker this time of year, going through NYC may be smarter (as you said you have already done). We made the run from NJ to MTK Point. This was about 7 years ago.

Definetly go through NYC, Va. to Jersey shore is where I need suggestions from guys who know the areas.

We'll keep a realtime post on CP from our phones too. :D

I wonder if Capy 'Kevin' Megabyte could help, I know he's ferried a few boats up/down the coast there ...

I've done it, and would do it again.

VA Beach up through the Chesapeake, then through the C&D Canal into DE Bay to Cape May. Best to overnight there.
From there we ran outside up to NYC, but we were running a 49 Eastbay, so WX conditions really didn't matter much to us.
Could easily be done in a Parker in reasonable WX conditions.

Have not run north of NYC, but I would think you could do it inside or out, depending on the WX.
Sounds like a fun trip!

I have done the trip as well. I went from Palm Beach to Cape May. As long as you have a nice ocean, the run from Va. Beach to Cape May is a very easy run. If I recall correctly, it was about 4 hours. The last leg of our trip was from Oregon Inlet to Cape May and that run was a total of about 8 hours at 24 knots. Your best best would be to run from Va. Beach to Atlantic City. Plenty of room at Trump Marina and a very easy and calm inlet to Navigate. Day Two should be an easy run to Sandy Hook and/or NYC. Day Three would be the final leg up LI sound. From AC to Sandy Hook should be no more than 4 hours in a good sea. If you have any questions send me a Private message and I will give you my cell number.

Brad

Thanks guys, I am very familiar with NYC north so thats not a problem.

Would the C&D canal add much more time than going outside?

Bryan 2530":19bggc2f said:
Would the C&D canal add much more time than going outside?

IMHO, it wouldn't add any time.
That is the way the commercial traffic goes, so you know if they do it... it has to be saving them money.

I think going through the C & D would add a fair amount of time. Here is a nice site where you can plan your route. http://marine.geogarage.com/routes/. I did it quickly and it looks like an extra 100 miles if you use the C & D. If you take the ocean and need something in Ocean City, MD I might be able to help you. Depending on the boat size I might have a dock for you too; depending on the time of year.

Yeah, I did the geogarage route when we started talking about the trip and found the same thing, looks like an extra 100 miles, but I like the idea of running on the inside.

Who knows, I'll know more after today.

Much will depend on the weather.
Even the Bay routes can get bumpy in the wrong WX conditions.

Watch winds in Delaware Bay this time of year.. Anything over 15 from NE is a no go..Was out in the shipping channel today with 15 to 20 WNW and had steady 5 to 6 footers. Turned around and headed back to port. Got beat up getting there. Was in a 28 ft. Bahia Cruiser. If the winds were NE ..I would never have left the dock. Good luck on your trip which ever rt. you decide to take. I know it will be enjoyable. Keep up with wind speed and direction, and the tides.

Not looking good for the adventure. :(

Probably going to have it shipped if he buys it, we'll know more next weekend.

Hope to have it delivered Thursday of this week. not a bad xmas present to myself!

Back