Parker Factory refurbishment

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock On!

Reaction score
Has anybody ever taken their Parker back to the factory to have the boat refinished. I think my deck needs to be repainted and i think the outer fiberglass needs to be reworked in a way to make it look new.

I highly doubt they are configured or equipped to do that type of work, plus your dealer could do it. First off, the deck will be re-GEL-coated, not painted. And any auto/boat detailer near you could give your top sides a good gloss.

... you don't need the factory for either of this, in fact ... you could do it yourself!

I have waxed and waxed and I cannot get it to shine. It is still dull and in some spots where it is stained from the waterline. I have used everykind of marine wax and stil nothing.

FYI-......The purpose of the compound and Buffing is to Remove the oxidized gelcoat. That will have to be done before any waxing. It can come down to the boat needing to be color sanded before it is buffed also.

Again.....This is to remove the oxidized gelcoat.

Hey, Rock On!, Back in the days before I was a proud Parker owner, I had a 15+ year old Egg Harbor, with a glass hull. When I got it the hull was oxidized, and flat out dull. I got the 3M rubbing compound,( with all the sand in it.) On an overcast, and damp spring day I applied the compound to the hull on pieces of old jeans that I had cut into squares and were soaking in a pail of water. I applied it wet, and went over it with wet jean pieces. As it appeared to start drying, I hosed it down, and let it dry to a haze that I wiped off with a towel. Next I put on 2 coats of teflon wax/polish, typical of the Starbrite stuff @ $30. a bottle. Everyone around my boatyard came around asking if I had awlgrip applied, or what. After that a coat of teflon each year and we got thumbs up everywhere we cruised into. Electric buffing did help also. Good luck on that, you can do it............Papa

ps. I still use old jean squares to apply the teflon wax/polish to my Parker, and get compliments all the time.

Rock On, For the stains at the water line, try "The Works". It's a toilet bowl cleaner sold at the Dollar Store. Wear gloves, and rinse off immediately. I have water based bottom paint on , and it's not effected by this product, but I do rinse it off immediately.

I recently buffed and waxed our 1998 2520, without sanding it took two days, two buffers and five different products. To remove staining from waterline you need to use a acid type hull cleaner, works like magic! If the surface is old and will not buff you will need to sand & buff as mentioned. Generally 1,000 grit - 2,000 grit wet sandpaper is used, the heavier the paper the more compound buffing will be needed. A dual action air sander with water will save a lot of time, also a 9" X 1/2" pile buffing pad with heavy duty compound followed up with fine compound, then buffing polish on a foam pad, then wax. If you are not sure take it to a boat detailer and test a spot to see if it can be buffed or needs to be recoated. Then decide to work or pay? : )

Back