Parker hard top project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frosty1

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to build a top for my Parker 1801 and wanted to see if anyone had any experience to share. I figure its a pretty small house, so worth going deep on the materials. I'm building it with 3/4 Divinycell closed cell foam core, kevlar cloth and vinylester resin. The back of the top will be supported by a stainless frame. Any input would be much appreciated. We're starting to build the plug on Wednesday, and I'll try to keep this thread updated.

Attachments

• parker with top.jpg
    parker with top.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 693
My only suggestion would be to skip the vinylester and use Epoxy. Way safer during the build, and a stronger end product. Raka or WEST system work great.

Other than that, don't forget to put some shape in the overhead. Nothing says "Homebuilt pilothouse" more than a flatt-@$$ roofline.

i was planning on putting a slight arch on the roof. it adds quite a bit more strength, right?

i was planning on putting a slight arch on the roof.

That is called "Camber". :)

As to using Vinailester Vs. Epoxy. Use what ever you want. The boat was built using some type of Polyester resign and Vinalester is the Top dog in that line.

With that said......I use the 2 to 1 Epoxy from US Composites.

Now.... This link may give you some Ideas. :)

http://www.classicmako.com/projects/xshark/bw9.htm

http://www.classicmako.com/projects/xshark/bw10.htm

What your not seeing......Think ahead! Scd 20 PVC screwed to a 2 X 4 and ripped in half. This give you a half round to use as a wire chase and adds a "Top Hat" stiffener to the under side of the Hardtop. Think about Nav lights, Deck Flood Lights, Speakers, Radar, etc,etc. THINK AHEAD!

Plan for this stuff.

You want that Hardtop going past the sides of the "Pilothouse". If it is even with the sides......Like

Pacific Pilothouse.com http://www.pacificpilothouse.com/ It will look like Dog S@*t.

They build them that way because it's fast and popped out of a mold. That doesn't mean it's right. It defiantly is NOT eye appealing to the concerned consumer.

I was originally planning on epoxy, but the guy I talked to at the boat yard recommended vinylester because its easier to work with and nearly as strong / flexible.

and thanks for the link. I like the mold they made for the top.

my brother put rails on his boat with PVC pipe. Worked really well. Where exactly are you recommending putting the pipe? around the top?

nope. i get a good chuckle every time i look at their gallery. life's too short for an ugly boat.

im using a full sheet for the top so there will be a 4-6" overhang.

thanks for that link. i'll definitely get in touch with Russel.

FInally broke ground building the plug last night.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 575
Back