Parker or Mainship?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badfish

Reaction score
I know I'm asking a biased crowd ( :wink: ) but I'm still trying to decide on the right boat for me and I respect your opinions. I've been looking at Parkers for several months now and decided I'd like to get -- in order of preference: 2830, 2530, or 2520.

However, during my "shopping" I took a look at a Mainship 30 Pilot. Completely different animal, I know, but I'm thinking it would suit our needs and give a much more comfortable ride (high on my wife's priority list) and has a cabin more suitable for overnight trips. As for use, it would be 50/50 fishing -- I'd like to go up to 50 miles out in the Gulf -- and general cruising/hanging out.

Obviously, the Parker would be more suitable for fishing. But, my wife would be reluctant to spend the night on it (good excuse to get out on my own though! :wink: ). The Parker would be much faster -- high 20s/low 30s cruise vs. upper teens in the Mainship. It seems like the Mainship would give a better ride in rough seas, and Parkers seem to have a reputation for pounding. But then, if I slowed the Parker down to "Mainship speeds" of 15-18 knots, wouldn't that soften the ride? Finally, the idea of owning an inboard diesel intrigues me. I know nothing about diesels but know they have a reputation for reliability and fuel economy. Finally, while I always admired the classic looks of the Parker pilothouse boats, the Downeast styling of the Mainship is right up there.

What do you guys think? Can you talk me out of this? (I'm also considering an Albin 28 based on DaleH's previous post).

I'll post this on THT also for some "outsider" opinions.

Attachments

• 4889169_20141209125942852_4_LARGE.jpg
    4889169_20141209125942852_4_LARGE.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 714
My opinion is you are going to need to make up your own mind. Its what suits your own needs. The only wisdom I can offer is... If you wife spends a lot of time on the water with you and she is not going to enjoy a parker, that definitely may not be your best choice. Good luck Mike

Agreed. I sold my 2530 because of the offshore ride.

The Parker deep v hull does not perform well at low speeds.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I know it's a personal decision but I want to make sure it's a smart decision. I guess I'm seeking some input on the advantages and disadvantages of each option (like whether slowing down the Parker would help the ride much when it gets rough; or whether or not diesel propulsion is as great as some people say).

Bryan, interesting about the 2530. I wonder if the mod V boats are any better at low speeds. Again, by "low" I mean 15-20 knots -- enough to reduce the slamming but to keep the boat on plane (or semi-planing). And by "rough seas", I mean only 3' - 4' max. I know that's not much, but any bigger than that I'd just as soon stay inshore anyways. I guess the 2830 may be a little better than the 2530, but wouldn't expect it to be much of an improvement.

Comments ???

Doesn't look like much cockpit space for fishing, depending on what type you do................

This is very interesting... I'm currently looking at trading my mvsc to a 25-28' deep v sc cause I want to get into offshore fishing.. I will still be doing 75-80% inshore/near shore and 25-30% offshore 50-80mile only on best days...

Bryan.. Was wondering what u meant by perform well in slow speed? Did u mean 7-10kts or 15-18kts? Or just anything under 25-30? Would appreciate if u can elaborate on this. Newbi in offshore fishing don't want to trade into something not meant to be. Thanks... Tom!!

tomysel":36dco9tn said:
This is very interesting... I'm currently looking at trading my mvsc to a 25-28' deep v sc cause I want to get into offshore fishing.. I will still be doing 75-80% inshore/near shore and 25-30% offshore 50-80mile only on best days...

Bryan.. Was wondering what u meant by perform well in slow speed? Did u mean 7-10kts or 15-18kts? Or just anything under 25-30? Would appreciate if u can elaborate on this. Newbi in offshore fishing don't want to trade into something not meant to be. Thanks... Tom!!

This is exactly what I do. I am waiting on a new 2520 xld. I had a 2120 which I would do the same type of fishing you describe. My mid shore rides for tuna was in the 30-60 mile range which left me a little shy of my local canyons in the 70-80 mile range. I am thinking Bryan meant in the 7-12 knot range but I cannot stress enough the ability to trim the boat out in any condition. When it's ugly out there unless you are in a much larger boat you are not going to enjoy the ride. I'll take my Parker any day of the week, as I feel very confident in it's ability to get me back safely, and I have been doing this over 40 years and have been on my share of all types of boats.

As you say, totally different animals. Like comparing a great four-door F250 to a cushy Range Rover. Both have the technical capability, but one is more utilitarian and one is more built for comfort rather than hauling stuff to the dump...

Be honest with yourself. If you are using it mainly as a summer cottage that moves, get the Mainship. If you REALLY want to fish, get blood and fish poop all over the decks, get the Parker.

A couple other things to consider...

While diesels are very reliable, nothing is fixed as readily as an outboard. If you plan to beach or anchor in shallow water, you can't tilt up the inboard! Lastly, that Mainship ain't gonna fit on a trailer! Needs to be professionally hauled and stored every time (at great expense).

Oh, I have the 2300 DV and we take it shark fishing 50 miles out on good days. No issues.

Although they don't make a 2830 anymore which would be my dream boat. I settle for the 2530. It is also a great boat and you can make it as comfortable as u like. I take my wife and baby out in the ocean all the time. It is what u make. I'm a fisherman and diver at heart but a husband, father and family man first. If u have a lot of ideas to make it more comfortable then do it and get the fishing machine Parker. For example.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421957726.632064.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421957726.632064.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 641
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421957769.215142.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421957769.215142.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 641
As you mentioned, this is a apples and oranges questions. Unless my general idea of cost is incorrect, the Mainship is also more expensive. There is something to be said about the ride of a semi displacement hull vs a planning hull in rough choppy seas. A planning hull just won't compare to a semi in that 15 to 18 knot range in those conditions, IMHO. If this boat has AC and Gen, enclosed head, on and on. If price is not an issue, and given your situation, I would get the Mainship. I love my Parker but your situation is indicating more of a cruiser first and fishing boat second to me. Good luck!

RumRunner":2h833the said:
More simply, the Mainship is just not a fishing boat. It's a cruiser. Maybe Albin 28 is a better middle ground for you.

Also a good option. Albin is a good boat and maybe a better fishing set up. I wouldn't mind having either one.

Since you are considering semi displacement diesel power, I'll toss one more out there. Check out the older Cape Dory 28 fly bridge boats. I've always like their design.

shawnee83":2u8bsb6y said:
As you mentioned, this is a apples and oranges questions. Unless my general idea of cost is incorrect, the Mainship is also more expensive. There is something to be said about the ride of a semi displacement hull vs a planning hull in rough choppy seas. A planning hull just won't compare to a semi in that 15 to 18 knot range in those conditions, IMHO. If this boat has AC and Gen, enclosed head, on and on. If price is not an issue, and given your situation, I would get the Mainship. I love my Parker but your situation is indicating more of a cruiser first and fishing boat second to me. Good luck!

Well, price is always a factor, but I've found my budget creeping higher since I started considering these other boats :shock: . The Parker still looks like a great value in comparison. I really don't need a lot of frills and purposely want to avoid the velveteen/chandeliers/mirrors found on the more mainstream fiberglass bubbles that are jamming up waterways (e.g., Searays). And I/Os -- hate 'em. But some basic comforts -- bed, minimal galley, enclosed head -- would be nice.

I would go with the Parker. Stay away from the main ship. I was on one many times. Heads sea they are great ( same as a Parker) the main ship in a following sea they suck!!!! I had I-0 motors and inboards. Can't get close to the beach and hitting sand bars a lot. Motors are nothing but trouble. I have a 2320 deep V parker and been out 99 miles and hit 10 ft seas with 4 sec apart. The cabin never got wet If your getting a 25 or 28 ft deep -V parker, your in a safe boat. Who ever said the ride is hard, I bet they rased there motor all the way up and the bow come up in head sea. 12 to 15 knots in 4 to 6 ft seas I can be in and drink my coff. Parker in a following sea are great. I have the full back with the Armstrong motor mount. 4 strokes outboards are trouble free!!! Good luck.someone said to look at Cape Dory. That's a great boat but again I think they have a full keel with and inboard. Great fishing boat for offshore but not a boat for the bay and taking the family out to a sandbar to go swimming. You have to see what you want to do with the boat. That's why we all love our Parker boat. I will match my 2320 parker with any 30 ft boat in heavy seas. Maybe not the cape Dorry or any full keel boat.

Take a look at the Barracuda 9 from Beneteau.

It's a perfect in between option. I test drove one last year and the performance with the twin 250's was amazing. She also handled the rough water well, and was large enough to spend the weekend on. The fly bridge was a blast and it was nice to know that you could move below and stay dry underway if necessary. They are pricey however.

Best of luck in your search.

Cheers

Back