Parker run over by a 32 Albemarle doing 30 knots.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IrishAyes":13jps1zu said:
This is true, and they were not. When the tow boat arrived at the scene the tow boat captain called the NJSP-Marine Division. The Parker owner was interviewed at the dock by the marine police after I left the marina so I don't know the outcome of that interview.. I also don't know what, if anything, happened with the Ablemarle owner. As I said before, the Parker owner was quite shaken up from the incident and was having a difficult time deciding what he should do.

SHOOT EM

Rule Nr. 1: A skipper is to have control of his vessel and operate it in a safe manner at all times. That includes knowing whats in the water ahead of him. Even if you are in open sea you could be approaching a submerged object. That includes operating your vessel at speeds that do not exceed your ability to avoid hazzards.
Even if you have someone assisting you by taking the helm, your responsibility does not end. When you are the skipper you let the rest of the crew party. You attend to business with a primary focus of insuring the safety of those on board your vessel and the safety of those around you.
Rule Nr. 2: If it is impossible for you to maintain a proper level of attention to duty and maintain a safe environment, refer to rule Nr 1.
I know I'm preaching to the choir but sometimes some things need to be repeated.

Glad everyone is OK, but folks blaming the Albermarle fail to point out that, given that it appears the Parker was hit on the starboard side, the Parker was the "give way" boat in the incident and should have been looking out to let the Albermarle pass.

CDG":1zwv4dza said:
Glad everyone is OK, but folks blaming the Albermarle fail to point out that, given that it appears the Parker was hit on the starboard side, the Parker was the "give way" boat in the incident and should have been looking out to let the Albermarle pass.

This would assume that the Parker was under power, which I don't think we know.

Steve

Bryan 2530":357zfpl9 said:
I thought the original story said the guy was drifting while fishing.
you are right Bryan 2530,The operator of the Parker was sitting in the rear drifting for fluke is what was stated in the report.

I believe the boat that was struck is for sale now for $7500.00. Saw it while browsing the net this AM. Still has a Yamaha hanging on the back. The description clearly states what happened.

CDG":r9zvkuug said:

Not really true........re-read the nav rules.
Specifically Rule 5 - maintain lookout
and
Rule 7 - Avoiding risk of collision
Basically all vessels are required to take any and all actions necessary to avoid a collision, including full stop, reversing course or drastic maneuvers.
These rules supercede the so called "right of way" rules by order of precedence.

My understanding from reading both sets of posts is that the Parker was at drift fishing for flounder and the Alby centerpunched him........either way the Alby skipper failed to maintain a lookout and failed to take action to avoid a collision.

goinsfishin":2b1ib5sb said:
CDG":2b1ib5sb said:

Not really true........re-read the nav rules.
Specifically Rule 5 - maintain lookout
and
Rule 7 - Avoiding risk of collision
Basically all vessels are required to take any and all actions necessary to avoid a collision, including full stop, reversing course or drastic maneuvers.
These rules supercede the so called "right of way" rules by order of precedence.

My understanding from reading both sets of posts is that the Parker was at drift fishing for flounder and the Alby centerpunched him........either way the Alby skipper failed to maintain a lookout and failed to take action to avoid a collision.

Not placing blame, but just having a discussion about the nav rules.
Assuming the parker was "drifting" and not anchored. Would not both rule 5 and 7 apply to the Parker also?

Rule 18 (a) (iii) A power-driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of a vessel engaged in fishing

"Right of way" rules only apply when two vessels are traveling at similar speeds so as to avoid confusion. When one vessel is drifting and the other is traveling at speed, the latter is the overtaking vessel and has the responsibility to avoid collision.

Just cause you are fishing doesn't mean a "vessel engaged in fishing"
Rule 3 (d) The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing
with nets, lines, trawls or other fishing apparatus which restrict
maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling
lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict maneuver-ability.

Speed of the vessels involved is not a factor in responsibility of vessels in the rules of the road, and overtaking is clearly defined.
RULE 13
Overtaking
(b) A vessel shall be deemed to be overtaking when coming up with
another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft her beam,
that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel she is
overtaking, that at night she would be able to see only the sternlight
of that vessel but neither of her sidelights.

If you are adrift you are still underway
rule 3 (i) The word "underway" means that a vessel is not at anchor, or
made fast to the shore, or aground.

When one boat adrift is run down by another moving at speed, there is clearly greater blame placed on the vessel moving at speed, but the vessel adrift is not without some blame.

Back