Portable bait well for our Parker 23 SE CC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

on the fly

Reaction score
I'd appreciate some feedback on an idea for installing a portable bait well in our '04 Parker 23 SE. Although we primarily fly fish, there are occasions when it would be nice to have a bait well, particularly when we use conventional tackle to go deep (we fish the Chesapeake Bay). The idea is to install a 24 - 30 gal tank on top of the rear jump seat on the port side. That jump seat contains just a battery and we rarely access it. I have found a number of bait wells that would fit the area. To give the bait well a secure platform, I would remove the cover of the jump seat and cover the entire area with a 3/4" thick piece of King Starboard (marine grade polymer). I would cut a small circle in the middle of the Starboard to permit me to secure the Starboard with ss hardware. The detachable pump would be located on the back of the transom in a bracket. The discharge tube would go over the back of the transom.

We have considered a permanent bait well but marine service centers around central Virginia are not willing to take on the job. The cost of a permanent installation for something we would use only part of the year is also a factor. Beyond that, space is at a premium because we have a large cooler behind the pedestal seats and a custom raised casting platform in the bow.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

One thing you may want to consider is having that much weight all the way in the back of the boat.

Do yo have a raw water washdown? if so, then just run the hose into a tank (which I would strap to the leaning post) and either have it drain right onto the deck or through a hose over the side.

Unfortunately, I don't have a raw water washdown or leaning post. We have two pedestal seats with a cooler behind them. I have been assuming (hoping?) that the trim tabs could level out the ride. Your point about another 192 lbs (for a 24 gal tank) is a a good one but I have read about small tanks being installed on swim ladders.

Tx,

I have a 23SE and fish live bait all the time. I use a 40 gallon rubbermaid tote with some holes drilled in approx 3" below the top. Every so often I just throw a 5 gallon bucket of water in there and let it over flow on the deck and wash out the scuppers.

The only problem I have had was keeping adult bunker alive in the height of the summer. It may seem to simple but it works and it cost under $20 at Home Depot.

MT

I JUST INSTALLED ONE ON A 25 SE,WE GOT IT FROM LIVEBAITLARRY.COM. WASN'T REAL EXPENSIVE AND WORKS WELL. WE USE IT FOR LIVE SPOT IN DELAWARE BAY

Back