power for 1990 Parker 25 CC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pboettger

Reaction score
A few months ago I purchased a 1990 25 CC, modified vee, made before parker came out with the SE version. They apparently had a couple degrees less dead rise and drafted a little less water, thus demanding less power even though the hull weight is essentially identical to the modern 25 SEs. The guy I bought it from in FLA is a professional guide, http://www.fishnaplesfl.com/, and swears that these boats need no more than 200 hp, which it had on it (2 stroke yamaha) at the time. I was able to buy the boat without the motor and want to put a used 4 stroke on her, yamaha riggiing still on her. I'm considering something somewhere between a 200 and 250. For the sake of economy, I'd like very much to believe that a 200 hp would be adequate and am not especially interested in speeed for the sake of speed. On the other hand I don't want to under power it and a little extra power for those for tough situations can literally be a lifesaver. I almost exclusively fish the Pamlico Sound, but do like to occasionally venture through an inlet for some in-shore ocean action. Any knowledgeable input anyone may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a 1986 Sou'wester, same hull as yours mine is a center console. When I bought the boat it had twin 2 stroke 150 Yamaha's. The motors were 1986's also and I was left a few times having to come home on one motor. Believe it or not the hull planned fine with one 150, now mind you she was not a speed demon but it really felt fine. When I repowered last winter I put a single 250 Yamaha (Old Style) but new four stroke. I was really wondering about the four strokes but she is just fine, with a Mercury Mirage 19" prop with me alone and less than half tank of fuel she turns 5900 rpms and is just touching 50 mph. With a full tank of fuel and a couple of other people she will turn about 5700 and run 47 miles per hour, but here is how i run most--- I can stay on top good at about 3500 rpm's running about 25 mph and burning about 6.5 gals per hour, right around 4 mpg. More than twice what I was getting. Where the four stroke really shine is trolling about 0.5 gals per hour. I fish the Chesapeake Bay so my conditions would be about the same as you. I am sure that a 200 2 stroke would have been fine and I feel that a 200 four stroke would be fine but for the little extra money I would go with the 250.

Thanks, Capt Slab. Your experience is helpful. I know the answer might be complicated, but can anyone tell me whether any fuel economy benefits of the lower hp 200 motor be canceled out in this situation by having to work harder than the more powerful 250?

Peter

I have a 14 degree deadrise 2520 with a Yamaha 225 OX66 and she will run 34 kts WOT with 1/2 fuel, all my gear, and 4 people aboard.
The 14 degree hulls will run like stink with not much power, so whether you choose 200 to 250 hp it all depends on your finances.
If you can get a 250 for a good price, that is how I'd go.

Where Yam F225s are supposed to be on the low end of HP output, one of those would work too. And that might be an easier 'used' find where someone wanted to upgrade to the F250. Keep in mind the F250 isn't a 250hp motor without 89 octane fuel. And the F225s were plagued with exhaust housing corrosion issues ... so shop around and be aware of affected model years. There was a detailed post about this topic on THT, but that info apparently never made it here.

I have a 1991 25 cc with a 2007 Suzuki df300.She tops out at 50mph.cruise at 4400 at 35mph burning 10.5/11gph.

When buying a new engine, also take into account the warranty it is being provided with. I know yamaha often runs a 5 year year (which gives you 2 additional years for free), with an option to purchase 2 more years. 5-7 years of warranty on a marine engine is a lllllong time.

Also, strongly consider where this engine will be getting its certified checkups / tune-ups / repair. It is always nice to have a dealer nearby.

I have had multiple yamahas....115 2stroke (1986 engine that ran ridiculously strong through 3 owners for what was easily 3000+ hours. 115 4 stroke (fuel pump issue was only issue in 3 years of owning. 225 4 stroke (zero issues for 3 seasons). Twin 300 4 strokes (only one season under the belt but they are STRONG).

For some reason, I can't stand my cousin's etec. It just doesnt do it for me. BUt people love them, and that's just my opinion.

I just saw an add for a 2004 225 4 stroke mercury/yamaha with reasonable hours at a good price. Apparently these engines were mostly yamaha built, then imported into the country and sold by mercury under their name, colors, etc before they came out with their own 4 stroke? Anybody know anything about these engines? Did they have the same corrosion issues?

Peter

I don't know about the 225, but some of the Mercury 4C engines only had Yamaha built powerheads. I had a 25 Yamaha built Mercury 4C on a small Carolina Skiff and all but the Powerhead was Mercury.

Back