problem with windlass

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger 3

Reaction score
I have a Powerwinch 450 on my 2120SC. The winch is three years old and has been a problem from day one. The person who installed the winch did an excellent job. Shortly after the installation the winch would not retrive. I had to take it off and take it to the Powerwinch repair center in my area. Got the winch back reinstalled it. Same problem Back to the service center. Finally it worked as it should. Last week it would not freefall I had to hold the switch down to get the rode to go out. Ok not a problem, I'll get it fixed in a few weeks after the striper season. Yesterday it started to freefall again after letting enough rode out I hit the up switch to engage it. It would not lock up. The winch would retrive the rode as it is supposed to until I released the switch then it started goeing back out. I really don't want to take the winch off again and take it seventy miles to the service center.
Question is: have any of you folks had a similar problem and is this something I can fix?
Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
tiger 3

Ok when you drop anchor do you tighten up on the windlass?

If so thats wrong !!!(dont get upset read on)

When you retrieve do you break the anchor free first by cleating anchor off, then when free, retrieve ?

When at anchor are you cleated off with slack or do you tighten down the windlass?

A windlass unless its a monster is not meant to rip the anchor out. its for dropping and retrieving

Capstans are for lifting... because they are meant to work with slippage/rope wraps and a human !!! pulling it taught...

Alot of people use them mash down the gears(I AM NOT ACCUSING YOU) but letting you know that if you use a windlass incorrectly the pawl gear/ clutch and internals will continually fail !!!

I know this first hand I WRECKED my first one using it the wrong way....

So i hope this helps a little

Reely Nauti,
Whren I set and retrive I follow the instructions as per the Powerwinch manual that came with the winch. The person at the Powerwinch service center said there was a problen with this model winch at the time of manufacture. Something to do with washers not doing what they shouldd According to him Powerwinch sent a replacement kit to solve the problem. As I stated the winch had to go back twice for the same problen right out of the box. The question I am asking is did anyone else have this problem and can it be fixed without going back to the service center. I did find a number for Powerwinch tech. support and will call them today.
Thank you for the reply and everything you stated is correct.
Bob

Tiger 3,
Don't have the 450 but I have a Powerwinch 31 for five years now. I switched to the 31 from a 30 after the first year. I had similar problems and like you, kept removing it and returning it to Powerwinch. After the second time, I opened up the windlass to see if there were any broken parts. There weren't. But I was amazed at how few parts were inside., I called Powerwinch and spoke to a rep. Similar to what they told you, there were design flaws in several of the parts in the 30. At a discounted price, they offered me an upgrade to a 31 and I took it. Their customer service was OK. Although they gave me a significant discount, I felt that for my frustration and time, they should have given me a new upgrade for free. Like I said, when you open these up, you'll be amazed at how simple the design is (if it's anything like the 30 or 31). I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to replace the parts yourself. The problem is that if there are no broken parts (just poorly designed parts), you may not know which parts to replace. And you still may have to remove the unit so that you can lay it on its side to install the new parts. Good luck.

Primo":1cv8zyy4 said:
Tiger 3,
Don't have the 450 but I have a Powerwinch 31 for five years now. I switched to the 31 from a 30 after the first year. I had similar problems and like you, kept removing it and returning it to Powerwinch. After the second time, I opened up the windlass to see if there were any broken parts. There weren't. But I was amazed at how few parts were inside., I called Powerwinch and spoke to a rep. Similar to what they told you, there were design flaws in several of the parts in the 30. At a discounted price, they offered me an upgrade to a 31 and I took it. Their customer service was OK. Although they gave me a significant discount, I felt that for my frustration and time, they should have given me a new upgrade for free. Like I said, when you open these up, you'll be amazed at how simple the design is (if it's anything like the 30 or 31). I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to replace the parts yourself. The problem is that if there are no broken parts (just poorly designed parts), you may not know which parts to replace. And you still may have to remove the unit so that you can lay it on its side to install the new parts. Good luck.
when you get tired of the windlass buy yourself an e-z pull anchor and wash all the anchoring and retrieving issues we use one on our 2530 it is the best.....

I thought of getting a windlass but i love the ball much better and no electrical to fix or windlass to replace.

Back