Pulpit Damage

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SommerTime

Reaction score
I own a 2004 Parker 2520XL and I noticed yesterday that where the fiberglass pulpit meets the bow of the boat it has developed a crack on both sides of the pulpit. The gel coat has cracked indicating a flexing of the outboard side of the pulpit. However, the railing that extends to the end of the pulpits seems to be OK. I realize that the railing may flex a little without any damage. My question is has anyone else had the same problem? The pulpit will need to come off to be repaired and then the decision will need to be made to repair the fiberglass or replace the fiberglass portion of the pulpit. Any suggestions and anyone else have the same problem?

Mine has the same thing, and it has has had those very fine cracks since the day I bought it.
On mine, the 'crack' is superficial and does not go through the part. It is only in the outside gelcoat.

I'm sure that pulpit flexes somewhat in rough seas from the weight of the stowed anchor, and it has a good bit of pressure on it when anchored in rough water as well.
I keep an eye on mine, but it hasn't changed in the past 10 years so I'm not too concerned..

Gelcoat is brittle and does not give like fiberglass does, which is why I'm sure the crack is there.

Megabyte":28gomv3o said:
Gelcoat is brittle and does not give like fiberglass does, which is why I'm sure the crack is there.
Ditto! Now if that gelcoat was 15-years old or older ... you wouldn't have any cracks at all! But the formulations nowadays, no thanks to the EPA ... are sooooooooooooooooo much more brittle than the substrate.

Back