Question about fuel gauge.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2006 Parker 2820 Sports Cabin. When put in calm water in the slip, the fuel gauge read 130. After a two
hour cruise, the fuel gauge in calm water in the same slip read 138. That's a new one on me. Suggestions?
Can I check the fuel level with a makeship dipstick in the filler tube?

Was everything and everyone in the same place when you took the two measurements? Did you drink all the beer out of the transom cooler, drain the waste tank or the water tank? The boats attitude in the water will affect the gauge readings.

You cannot make any readings through the fill port. The only place to "dip" the tanks is by pulling the fuel probe.

Was everything and everyone in the same place when you took the two measurements? Did you drink all the beer out of the transom cooler, drain the waste tank or the water tank? The boats attitude in the water will affect the gauge readings.

You cannot make any readings through the fill port. The only place to "dip" the tanks is by pulling the fuel probe.
Thank you for your reply. Everything was the same when we took the two measurements.
It may have a bad sensing unit, or the electronics need to be recalibrated. I'll fill the tank and
recalibrate first. The Parker factory sent me the correct tank drawing and the part
description for a new sending unit. Great customer service!

I recently bought a 2006 Parker 2820 Sports Cabin. When put in calm water in the slip, the fuel gauge read 130. After a two
hour cruise, the fuel gauge in calm water in the same slip read 138. That's a new one on me. Suggestions?
Can I check the fuel level with a makeship dipstick in the filler tube?
If you’re not already doing it , start keeping a fuel log. Fill your tank, keep track of hours run between fill ups and then how many gallons added on the next fill up. Divided # gallons added by hours run, do this every time you run the boat and fill up. The more precise you are with your time and fuel imputes , the more accurate your results will be. You will eventually come up with an average fuel burn per hour that will be surprisingly accurate, more so then any finicky sending unit in a fuel tank. The only consistency with in tank fuel sending units is that they’re subject to variables that will make them consistently inaccurate.

I realize this doesn’t address your specific question but IMO chasing accuracy in a fuel sending unit in a big fuel tank, that’s located in a boat is like a dog chasing it’s own tail…

Last edited:
Most likely a calibration issue with the Lowrance. I’m interested in how you’re getting a “gallon” reading off a traditional sender. Usually you’ll only get that from a flow sensor, which measures the fuel used and deducts it from the amount of fuel you tell the MFD is in the tank.

Back