Question about new Parkers

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacedaemon

Reaction score
Hi, I am moving to New York City in about a year and am considering getting a boat - I have never owned a fishing boat, so here's a little background on my experience on the water. I currently sail on the Chesapeake Bay, and occasionally do some ocean sailing. I have done shore fishing off and on throughout my life and am a scuba diver. I don't want a sailboat in NYC because I don't think it would be that much fun, and I would rather do it on my parents' boat anyway. Still, I can't imagine being off of the water, so I want to take my other ocean based hobbies to the next level. I am thinking of getting a fishing boat and keeping it somewhere on Long Island. My old summer camp in NC had Parkers, and I liked them a lot then, so they were the first place I went.

Basically, I am considering the 2320 and 2520DV's and would like some feedback on how they (and Parkers in general) would suit my needs. Indeed, feedback on whether I even have a reasonable idea of what can be done in a boat that is <30ft would be nice. I like the PH a lot because if you're diving, having a warm place to dry out is hugely important.

I am hoping for something that can carry 4 divers or fisherman, and all of their equipment (considering that 12 tanks for 4 divers alone can weigh 600lbs easily) and maybe 6-7 people for cruises (not so much in luxury as to a beach or to watch fireworks on the 4th of July).

In determining the capabilities of these boats, I note that the continental shelf out of NY harbor is about 100nm each way. Can either boat make it out that far without attaining crazy man status? Coming from sailing, I don't have any idea of what is realistic to expect from powerboats this size. It seems like fuel is close to enough, or could be made enough with supplemental cans/tanks, but I feel like there's more to this discussion than fuel range. I don't want a boat any bigger than this, so if it's impossible to make the canyons in a 2520, I will adjust my expectations.

Finally, it will be a while before I am really in the market, but how much of a cost increase is there between the 2320 and the 2520, both in terms of acquisition and operating costs? If I went with a 2520, I would probably want twins.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I SCUBA dive off my 2120 all the time.I dive the Northern Channel Islands out of Santa Barbara,and normally run about 90-95 miles round trip,normally burning 40-45 gals depending on conditions.

This is my 5th boat,and so far the very best.Very seaworthy,and great sea keeping abilitys.
I'm sure you will be pleased w/your Parker,and you are right about having a pilothouse for the ride home.All my partners love that! Another nice thing about these boats is when you are exhausted after doing 3-4 dives you can get knock the salt knocked off of it,and flush out the motor,and save the scrubbin for the next day.

Hopefully someone w/a 23 or 25 can answer some of your questions about range and what not.

All the best.
MJ.

ive done some diving off my 2530, so i can give you some input there. honestly, from simply a space perspective, i dont think youre going to dive 4 guys with full gear and 3 tanks each out of a 2520, and certainly not out of a 2320. even loadwise, youre going to have to be really picky about where you store the tanks, weights, gear, etc. 2 tanks each would work but probably be pretty tight.

the 2520 can make the 100 mile run, depending on what power she has on her and how hard youre running her. youre not going to have alot of fuel in reserve, however, so if that bothers you be sure to pick your days. i run twin yamaha 2 stroke 150s, which guzzle gas, so my experience is irrelevant to modern 4 stroke owners. maybe someone with a similar setup can give you an idea there. as far as the capabilities of the boat go, however, 100 miles is certainly feasible. once youre out there, there really isnt that much of a difference between 60 miles, which we do routinely, and 100 miles. either way, if something goes wrong, its a long ways home. so really, your only consideration is fuel mileage.

Back