Radar, sonar, chart plotter for 23 SE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captnick

Reaction score
I need to rig my new 23 SE with a large screen(at least 12 inch) multi function unit. Radar, sonar, chart plotter, gps and a thru hull transducer. I haven't bought new electronics in 15 years so I need a little help from you guys. What do you recommend?

Push button for sure. Touch screen wouldn't be good when my fingers are covered in bait sun block and blood which is most of the time. I keep hearing about the Garmins now being very good and user friendly. !5 yrs ago it seemed to be Raymarine being very popular. Auto pilot would have been great on my XL but I'm not sure if putting it in my 23 SE center console would be too expensive to justify it. I regularly make 40-50 mile round trips to fish eastern Long Island Sound so it might be nice. I know I will have to pick my days carefully with the SE vs XL. About what would rigging SE with auto pilot cost? Thanks, Mike

I keep hearing about the Garmins now being very good and user friendly.

Garmin has "Alway's" been the most user friendly units!

If someone wants to put Raymarine on their boat.....I turn the job down.....I hate them that much.

Here is your unit.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561847

cf-lg.jpg

Here is your X-Ducer.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/540990

Here is your Radar

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-01719-00

Thanks, that looks like what I'm looking for. If I go for the 1042 with thru hull =$2400. Pretty steep. I've not priced electronics in 15yrs.

Pretty steep. I've not priced electronics in 15yrs.

You answered your own question......A LOT of advancements have been made in 15yrs.

No need to mount GPS antennas.......It's in the face of the machine...Works Super good.

MUCH faster processer's....It updates Soooooo Much faster. Just to name a few.

I am partial to Simrad. I just updated to dual NSS12 EVO2s matched with a Airmar B175M transducer. There is a dial on the EVO2 so you are not locked in to touch screen only. The EVO3s are the latest model but the deals on EVO2 are incredible.

warthog5":28m3l9db said:
I keep hearing about the Garmins now being very good and user friendly.

Garmin has "Alway's" been the most user friendly units!

If someone wants to put Raymarine on their boat.....I turn the job down.....I hate them that much.

Here is your unit.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561847

cf-lg.jpg

Here is your X-Ducer.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/540990

Here is your Radar

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-01719-00
I appreciate the links. That's the unit I'm leaned towards now but I'm curious why you hate the Raymarine. Is it the quality, reliability, not user friendly or just PIA to install? I had a C-80 and had no issues for the first ten years until the water temp started reading 250 degrees. I had reliability issues later when the screen would go black and not function. Read it was the "ribbon" possibly.

I was told the side scan requires two transducers. Is that true? If so I may opt for the B75H transducer with chirp instead. I don't know if I see the benefit of side scan, but then again I'm old school.I hate to pay for capabilities I'm not going to use but I like the 1042.

That is not true....It's all in one. That B75H is a Tilted Element 600 watt Chirp unit. No sidescan.

1st..... How deep you gonna fish? Sidescan is good up to 100ft

fyi
this was emailed to me today

Simrad NSS12 Remans are back....

We have a new shipment of NSS12 Evo2 Remans on sale now. In stock and ready to ship. Save hundreds over new These units include a 1 Year Warranty from Simrad, and are virtually like new. Reman's are always popular and a great way to save on new equipment. They will not last long. View the versions and bundles below.

You can reach us at 866-735-5926 or at [email protected]
NSS12/4G Radar Bundle

We have an exclusive bundle that gets you a reman's Simrad NSS12 Evo2 and a NEW Simrad 4G Radar. This Bundle is in stock and ready to go. Huge savings on the best technology available.

Only $3,849.99
Compare to $4,999.98 for new.
Save $1,149.99!

Simrad NSS12 Evo2 12"

Display only - features internal gps antenna, built-in CHIRP sonar and Side Imaging, pre-loaded charts, fully networkable, nmea2000, and more. This has been the most popular unit available for the past year. A major value!

Only $1,899
Compare to $2,999 for new. Save $1,10

warthog5":2tpro5ww said:
That is not true....It's all in one. That B75H is a Tilted Element 600 watt Chirp unit. No sidescan.

1st..... How deep you gonna fish? Sidescan is good up to 100ft
I'm fishing in less than 100 ft 90% of the time. Dealer said I needed two. On another forum an installer sent this example of what they're talking about. The deadrise angle at the transom of my boat is only 14 degrees so depending on where it's mounted maybe it would work. I haven't kept up with the technology in the last 15 years and trying to catch up and make the right decisions. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1046.JPG
    IMG_1046.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 115
Well I Just happen to be replacing a Garmin GT 51M right now on a '89 Parker 2520.....14deg deadrise.

It works perfect except his brother had a encounter with the boat lift and will not shoot to the Port side.

Hence the reason for the replacement.

Next question :)

And by the way ... Your a perfect candidate for one with tha 100ft depth.

I measured for you..... X-Ducer stem is 9in to Port side of Keel and 29in Forward of transom.

I do have pix's but my stuff is not working to post here.

It could go a little farther aft if need be.

warthog5":1muzwo1z said:
I measured for you..... X-Ducer stem is 9in to Port side of Keel and 29in Forward of transom.

Measurement from the keel is pretty spot on.
Can't tell about the transom measurement, but the x'ducer cane be seen on the photo on the left (starboard) side.

Attachments

• DSCN0024.jpg
    DSCN0024.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 95
Thanks Megabyte and Warthog for the info. The dealer sells and rigs a ton of Parkers but said they hadn't put that transducer on as a single unit and were suggesting the B75H instead. Don't know if I want to be a guinea pig in their experiment.

I appreciate the links. That's the unit I'm leaned towards now but I'm curious why you hate the Raymarine. Is it the quality, reliability, not user friendly or just PIA to install? I had a C-80 and had no issues for the first ten years until the water temp started reading 250 degrees. I had reliability issues later when the screen would go black and not function. Read it was the "ribbon" possibly.

I started with Raymarine when I didn't know any better. Failures and Cheap ass design. The stuff I had has Long been off the market....But as Brent said above.

The stuff is Clunky to me. It's not near as user friendly as Garmin.....It is proprietary with their hardware. The last time I messed with Raymarine.....was to remove it on a Intrepid....Simrad components replaced everything.

There is a local Marine electronic's shop.....For newbee's that don't really know what they want or are looking at....They push Raymarine. Why? Cause they make more money on it......Not because it's better stuff.

Back