Re-freshing a 1996 Parker 23 DVCC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the only picture that I currently have of the Bomar aluminum deck hatch being installed.

It's a pretty simple installation. I did not flush mount the hatch and did not sink the phalange into the plywood deck (this would have required me to use a router and remove 1/4" of wood from the 3/4" plywood).

The plywood end-grain was sealed with epoxy resin; phalange screws holes were overbored, packed with epoxy resin and re-drilled for the wood screw. Sealed with Boatlife silicon.

Attachments

• IMG_6304.JPG
    IMG_6304.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 336
That’s a nice substantial hatch. My stock one is leaking a little so I think I need to rebed it and replace the o rings? Thinking I need to do the Pie plates also. Would it be best to remove and rebed them before doing the non skid I assume? Not sure if I want to spend the extra $’s on a new hatch but I do like the looks of it. My stock one is soft and flexes some when you step on it. With my notch transom I get water washing up on it from time to time when backing down harder. With the battery charger and stuff in my bilge I want it bone dry. How much is a hatch like that?

I found this Bomar hatch on craigslist (or it might have been downeastboatforum). I think I paid $300 for it but new they are 2x that number.

They are very substantial (heavy). Do not flex in the slightest. And mine has no evidence of leaking (and yes, I have tested it). Although to be fair, it does have a new gasket.

If I were going to re-gelcoat my floor ...... I'd remove all of the hatches and inspection plates ..... make sure all of the wood end-grain is sealed with epoxy resin ....... re-gelcoat the floor (in reality, I wouldn't use gelcoat but rather Awlgrip paint with Griptex, but that's a different story) and then re-install the deck hardware.

Thanks for the answers. I read your earlier comments on the Awgrip vs Gel. I’ve work with gelcoat now several times on repairs but I’m still venturing into the unknown on the non skid. Redoing my deck is about the last major thing on my list to do on mine and then I can honestly say she will be right/done, lol. They are never really done.

Shawnee... also check Warthog's 2530 thread to see the 'NASA hatch' he used.
That hatch is a rectangle rather than an oval, and might give you a little more access room.
Either way, both are much better than the OEM hatch.

Wow, thanks Wart. That is certainly a nice hatch. I think that I’m going to have to live with what I have and rebed and change the o rings. I just can’t spend that on a hatch this year after everything I’ve spent on her already. It would be nice to have though.

shawnee83":3ra5otja said:
Wow, thanks Wart. That is certainly a nice hatch. I think that I’m going to have to live with what I have and rebed and change the o rings. I just can’t spend that on a hatch this year after everything I’ve spent on her already. It would be nice to have though.
Wart you replaced bracket hatch with Armstrong. Will it work in cockpit?

B2

Back