Re powering 2110 WA

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photoguy

Reaction score
Well, this past weekend, my wife reached her tipping point with the 1996 Evinrude Ocean Pro in my 1996 2110 wa. Smoke, hard to talk over noise, hard starting when cold, etc. Compounding things, we needed a tow in as the engine kept cutting out on us. The good news is that we were treated to a nice quiet pull behind a Suzuki equipped tow boat. :lol:

My wife fell in love with the practically noiseless 4 stroke we were being pulled by and it set the wheels in motion. Spent an hour or so today with a Yamaha dealer and he's putting together numbers for a new 200. I don't expect weight to be an issue, my scuppers are currently 3" out of the water and standing on the transom affects that only a little.

Just wondering if anyone has gone through a similar re power and your thoughts or experiences?

On the one hand we really love the boat...on the other hand is it really practical to put a new motor on an older hull?

Thanks in advance-

Photoguy":49fe6b0h said:
On the one hand we really love the boat ... on the other hand is it really practical to put a new motor on an older hull?
I did and didn't look back! I put a new Suzuki DF250 on the stern of my '92 vintage Parker for $6K LESS than what my local Yamaha dealer quoted for their F250 installed (which also needs high octane fuel to be a 'real' 250hp motor).

Check out the guys @ J&W Marine (tell them me and Dave J sent you), as a few of us here have repowered with Suzukis from them. If you've read my posts, you've an idea how detailed that I can be about the out-fitting of my boat. Well, the crew from J&W did such a great job that I couldn't correct or do anything they did - any better - their install was that good and thorough! And I went over everything they did, line by line ... run by run, connection by connection. ZERO complaints about the install.

Another point for Suzis are they can be less weight than other 4-strokes, as I only added < 100-lbs weight when switching out to the bigger motor (from 225hp). I also lost weight be removing the oil tank tank and associated plumbing, as well as spare TC-W3 oil carried onboard. Suzis also spin a bigger wheel (16" diameter) that can help push a heavier boat using a single OB. Adding that to no VST filter issues, injector issues and exhaust housing corrosion .. plus the HUGE chunk of $$ saved from the get-go, and it was a 'no brainer' decision to go Suzuki!

As is ... you will need to change controls, harness, and gauges anyway, so you're not committed to any brand.

Photoguy":1nvu5enx said:
J&W in Salem?
Yes, ask for Walter or Jerry, aka 'fishinFreak' ... tell them I referred you. you know, you might even be able to get a 2012 left-over and save another $1,000 or two there too. I also got a repower rebate and 6-years non-declining warranty ... no other brand can touch that belief in their motors.

And like you, when my former engine went Ka-BOOM I was towed in by a TowBoat/US vessel powered by a Suzi motor. They have 13 of them in service on the No shore of Mass and have YET to have even ONE issue ... and they're on the water every day ...

Thanks Dale. Waiting for a call back from Jerry. Your recommendation and first hand experience appreciated...

Just off the phone with Jerry. He's offered a smokin' (no pun intended...) deal on a 175 that he has in stock. I currently have a 200 Ocean Pro, but generally cruise in the 16-18 knot range towing a dingy and with kids on board. Any thoughts as how this might push the Parker? I know when they were sold new, the 150 was offered as an option, and some thought it was underpowered preferring the 200...but I'm thinking the 175 night be a good balance, turning a larger prop than the old 2 stroke.

btw Dale, Jerry said 'Hi'.

Go for it, run it at 4000 RPMs and don't look back!

Sounds like a winning combination to me and you won't notice any HP loss at cruise speeds.

Thanks Dale, much appreciate the input!

Deposit made, just need to schedule the install.

I was thinking the DF-175 the whole time I was reading this. It's a Big Block 4 cylinder inline motor.

warthog5":3ousrmvb said:
I was thinking the DF-175 the whole time I was reading this. It's a Big Block 4 cylinder inline motor.

That's what I'm going with. I think I'll be happy with the way it pushes the boat based on everything I've been able to read so far.
Will post back my experience when it's all finished.

Just bumping with a question for the experts (of which I'm clearly not...). I don't know the first thing about props and or motor height placement-only what I've read here and elsewhere. Seems to be a little black magic involved in getting these 2 parts of the equation correct. I'm wondering if I should be asking for anything specific regarding these 2 areas as the new motor is going on...or is this more a trial and error thing once I've had a chance to run the boat 'as is' after the new motor install?

My fingers are still crossed that the 175 will be enough oomph and I suspect it will, but I don't want to overlook what might be an obvious choice now for propping and height since it would most likely be easier to change these things now than later.

THanks again...

pardon the crappy cell phone pic, but the boat launched today with the new power. Quiet as a mouse, and while no indication of anything else, from the ramp to the dock, this engine is clearly more responsive than the old Evinrude that hung there before. Looking forward to breaking it in tomorrow.

thrilled with the 'turn-the-key-and-go' so far...and the colors go great with the Parker.

The guys at J&W did a great job installing; everything neat and tidy as Dale had suggested it would be. They hung a 15X6 prop with instructions to get back to them after I've had a chance to go wot and they'd make adjustments as necessary from there.

:D

Just back from the break-in. Couldn't be happier.

About 27kt at 5500 rpm. Seems much quicker than the 96 Evinrude, certainly much more responsive. And when it came time to idle into the dock, no exaggeration, I thought it had stalled it was so quiet. :D

Perfect time to do the break-in too, got to circle this for a while at 2k rpm's ($210,000 per week charter) anchored off Marblehead. :shock:

salute-yacht.jpg

is that a 6K RPMs motor? If so, I'D like to see 300 more RPMS ...

DaleH":137dd3yo said:
is that a 6K RPMs motor? If so, I'D like to see 300 more RPMS ...

I don't know how to tell?

If so, is getting more rpm's a function of the prop?

<entirely possible that I didn't go full throttle as I was in the 'break-in' frame of mind and after 2 hours of poking around I only briefly opened it up>

Just updating in case anyone ever has an interest.

After a few adjustments (like trimming the motor <little did I know-that's what happens when a sailor gets in a power boat> the 175 pushes the boat to about 35 mph @ 5800 rpm's with the stock Suzuki 15 1/4 X19 prop. This is with 75 gallons of fuel, 2 people and whatever stuff is normally stored in the cabin. She gets up on plane pretty quickly, the motor starts like a car with simply the turn of the key and when I go into idle, I have to look back to make sure it's still running.

Very happy. :D

And when it came time to idle into the dock, no exaggeration, I thought it had stalled it was so quiet.

Get yourself use to looking at the Tach before you touch the key.

Back