reattaching wood screws

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzumi

Reaction score
A couple of wood screws have backed out on my 2520. They hold trim pieces like the strip at the bottom edge of the pilothouse or the strip at the foot of the helm console.

Anyway, a couple of them keep backing out.

What's the best way to reattach them? I stopped by WestMarine and was told to put a drop of Superglue under the head and screw it in.

Thoughts? Better ideas?

Thanks!
JM

Oh, and sorry, my feeble search skills didn't turn up anything useful...

Plastic toothpicks (coffee stirrers) shoved into the hole will help, but it is the teeth of the wood screws that are continually tearing at the hole, making it larger. Put it in snug, but not over-tight.

Or get that 2-part epoxy 'tootsie roll' at hardware store, knead a small slice together and fill the hole. Then tap drill for the screw body size.

I have good sucess with the plastic anchors that you can drill a hole insert anchor ,then the screw goes into(red,yellow,blue). I use them to hold canvas snaps that come loose, put some 5200 in the hole after you drill and insert anchor. I take a real sharp chisel and cut the heads off once the 5200 sets. You can buy the kit at W/W or any hardware store.

Back