Refininshing gelcoat and removal of bottom paint

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock On!

Reaction score
I am looking to move up from from my 1801 Parker to a 25 or 28 CC. I have found a 2004 model but it has two problems. One is bottom paint is on it and I would want to have it removed and the bottom repaired to original. The next is there were some cut outs on the top of the sides where bottom rigs were once mounted. I would like them filled in and repaired and have the whole boats finished restored to like new. What needs to be done, how long does it take, what would the process cost (estimate) and where can it be done. I am located near the outer banks. Thanks in advance.

I can't help with the costs involved, but I can help a bit with the process...

Best way to have the bottom paint removed is by media blasting - in most cases, that would be soda blasting.
Companies will come to you (or your marina), and remove the bottom paint with either walnut shells, or baking soda.

Once the paint has been removed, you aren't done.
When the bottom was prepped for bottom paint, it was probably sanded with 60 or 80 grit paper to remove the mold release wax, and give the surface some 'tooth' that the paint would stick to.

To take it back to factory fresh, the bottom would have to be wet sanded beginning with maybe 400 grit, and ending with maybe 2000 grit.
I say 'maybe' because each job is different, and it all depends on how smooth and perfect you want it to be.
Can it be done? Absolutely! However understand that the process is time and manpower dependent.

We have owners here who have done this job with their boats, so hopefully some of them will weigh in and help you out.

As for the repair of the washboards where the down riggers were mounted, again, no big deal.
Members here have discovered that fiberglass repair is easier than it looks, and there are some great results in the "Projects" section.

If you don't care to do the job yourself, any decent marina has fiberglass guys who can make it look just like new.

If you decide to go ahead with this project, grab your camera, document the job, and post it in the Projects area!

Good luck!

Back