Removing anchor pulpit on a 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandytows

Reaction score
Anybody done this before?
I am buying a 2003 2520. I want to remove the anchor pulpit and windlass. I rarely anchor, but frequently need to maneuver in tight spaces.
I know I will need to remove the bow rail, and I dont plan to reinstall it. Other than that it seems pretty straight-forward to remove bolts and pull off.
Is it held on with 5200 and will the gelcoat be damaged when i try to remove it?

I have a 03 and use mine all the time.. If you are wanting to sell it I would be interested in it and the windlass to keep for a spare. My email is [email protected]

We did the same thing to our 2520, and thinking it was going to be easy as a friend of ours did it to there 2320. The 2320 was held on by 5200, just unbolted and only needed to "put your back into it" to pry it up. So we were told. We cut the railing, then tried to just pry it up and it was bonded to the deck with more than 5200. It took us about 2 hours to free it from the deck using flat bars and finally used a 6ft pry bar. It destroyed under the pulpit as it tore up the glass from the deck at least a 1/4" plus. Being the begining of the season and not being able to find anyone that could do it in a timely manner, we tackled the job ourselves. Layed up the glass, sanded, then rolled out 2 layers of gelcoat. It came out ok. Not a 10 out of 10, more like an 8.5. If i were to do it again, i would build up the bondo agent(formula 27) in more stages with sandingin between. Multiple small layers would have been better, wjhen we put the cleats back on with an aluminum backing plate inside, 2 small 1/4 cracks developed under cleats. Not terrible, but know it could have been avoided with a little more time. When we gelcoated we only did the forward part of bow, not down the rails to gunwhale, and the new gelcoat is evident by different color. Hoped it would have faded in but realize we will have to gelcoat all the topside. I wish we had taken pictures for documentation.

Good luck. Our boat is a 1999 if that helps you out.

i have heard from reliable sources that to break a substantial 5200 bond, it can be done with steady slow pressure over time.

i have not ever removed a pulpit. but if i were to try, the first thing i would do is remove all the silicone from the seam between the pulpit and deck. next i would place a 2x4 under the pulpit a few inches from the end. then i would use a jack to put a moderate load on the 2x4. i would then liberally spray the joint with anti bond, and then walk away for a day or two, occasionally reapplying the anti bond until it pries up.

grouperjim":48x35sd3 said:
i have not ever removed a pulpit. but if i were to try, the first thing i would do is remove all the silicone from the seam between the pulpit and deck. next i would place a 2x4 under the pulpit a few inches from the end. then i would use a jack to put a moderate load on the 2x4. i would then liberally spray the joint with anti bond, and then walk away for a day or two, occasionally reapplying the anti bond until it pries up.

Excellent advice.
Pressure... anti-bond... and time, will get it up without damaging the hull.

I too am looking to purchase a 2520 Pulpit. If the previous poster doesn't work out, please let me know. Thanks.

Back