Removing fuel from tank

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannibal

Reaction score
In following to the recommedations to remove the bad fuel in my tank, I've done a bit of reading/research ..........

I believe I am going to purchase a cheapo electric fuel pump from the local auto parts store and wire to a seperate 12-v battery with an inline switch (no sparks). Haven't quite figured out how I am going to contain the fuel though ...... I kind find big enough containers but moving it may be a problem.

My real question is gasket/seal related. If I go through the fuel pickup (accessible by the hatch on my deck), I understand that I have to remove 4-5 bolts. When I go to reinstall these bolts/pickup, is there a gasket that needs to be replaced? Is there one there that can be reused? Can I use a liqud type gasket material if one is needed?

I just need to make sure I have everything I need BEFORE starting to remove parts/peices.

(Would it be simpler to remove the fuel line at the engine and simply pump from there? Simple disconnect/reconnect rather than going through the pickup? Advantages/disadvantages? Possible?)

You can pop the round hatch at the fuel gauge sending unit and take out the 6 screws holding it in and remove the sending unit. This will leave you a 1.5-2" hole you can use to syphon the gas out. I used 7 six gallon plastic gas cans I bought at Walmart to put the gas in. That way I could transport the fuel. I used 2 primer bulbs and enough clear plastic tubing to get me outside and below the tank level and let gravity do the work.

I removed about 50 gallons of gas from a tank on my old boat by running the fuel line off the tank out through the drain plug on the transom then siphoning out into 6 gallon jugs. I then distributed the gas to various vehicles, lawn mowers, etc of people that wanted it.

Only disadvantage of this is the pickup usually doesn't go to the bottom of the tank so you will miss some of the old full, but by raising the bow and filling with new gas, it was good enough for my needs BUT, that was a carbuerated engine.

I did it with the one of the cheap electric fuel pumps also. I removed the line from the engine and pumped it into the 5 and 6 gallon containers. After the bad fuel came out i added about a gallon of fresh fuel and pumped that out untill i looked like clear gas.

I will be doing the same task but I want to get all the bad fuel out.

My idea is to remove the fuel sender, and using clear vinyl tubing, siphon out the gas into the 6 gallon jerry jug cans.
To get the siphon strated I'll either use a primer bulb or one of those glass ball siphons on the end of the tube.

I used the cheap electric fuel pump myself. I attached it to a board and set it in a bucket, just in case it leaked. I attached a brake line to the end of a rubber hose so that I could get all the way to the bottom corners of the tank. This would prevent a hose from curling up. I extended the wires and attached alligator clips to the ends so that I could attach the wires to the battery of the vehicle I was pumping the fuel into. I can't claim the idea for this...I found it somewhere here on CP.

I hope the pictures help by giving some views of my set up.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 358
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 358
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 358
Well, got 30 gallons or so out. Filled up five 5 gallon containers and then put another 5 in the lawn mower. Also found out that my recycling center doesnt take gas but on the first saturday of each month. Gotta find another option. What is coming out now looks and smells fine.

Hannibal":14s3ihgi said:
My real question is gasket/seal related. If I go through the fuel pickup (accessible by the hatch on my deck), I understand that I have to remove 4-5 bolts. When I go to reinstall these bolts/pickup, is there a gasket that needs to be replaced? Is there one there that can be reused? Can I use a liqud type gasket material if one is needed?

Whatever you do, do not replace this with a bead of silicone. My father did that on a Grady we had when I was young and, well, the gas deteriorates the silicone into floating globules that plug up racor filters, filters in the motor and such, to the point the motor dies (sometimes right in the middle of an inlet).

Well if I continue to pull gas throuh the fuel line (on the engine side of the primer ball) - would opening the pickup provide me any additional benifit? If so -out is there a gasket to replace? If so, what kind?

Snapped a few pics to show my setup. Looks very familiar if you scroll up the page.

photobucket-5857-1334624291320.jpg
I disconnected the fuel line on the engine side of the primer ball. I used fuel line purchased along with the electric fuel pump to connect to the primer ball.

photobucket-7390-1334624315599.jpg
Another picture of the same. Pardon the mess. Spring time around my parts and the trees are shedding big time. And with the nice weather, I've had the cover off for two weeks while working on her.

photobucket-5890-1334624334919.jpg

Ran the hose over the notch in the transom and down to the bucket holding the fuel pump. Hindsight being 20/20 - I had a run that was way too long for the operation. Then again, it kept all fuel sources far away from any ignition sources.

photobucket-5191-1334624362859.jpg
Using the idea posted above, I mounted the electric fuel pump to a peice of wood and hung over a 5-gallon bucket in the event it leaked at the pump.

photobucket-5841-1334624376958.jpg

A better close up of the fuel pump. Basic cheapo model from Advanced Auto. Standard power/ground hookup run through an on/off switch so I didn't have to break contact at the battery (creating a spark).

photobucket-6468-1334624390108.jpg

The hardest part was keeping the hose in the fuel container. With the movement of the pump, it shook the hose in a manner that slowly pulled the hose out.

photobucket-1966-1334624434240.jpg

Close up of the wiring detail with switch.

photobucket-1381-1334624458229.jpg

Ended up with six 5-gallon containers in the garage. Handed out free gas to some of the neighbors.

Don't know when I am going to hit bottom. Has to be soon. With that pump and that long run - it was a long process. I bet it took 15 solid minutes to pump out a 5-gallon container. But, it was much nicer than paying a marina to do it.

Back