Removing Gunnel Rod Holders

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silversides

Reaction score
Greeting to all!
I have a small issue. I have a Parker 1800 1996 that I just purchased about a month ago.
I am tricking out this boat for Fly Fishing and the Gunnel Rod holders are useless and I want to remove them.
They are extending down the gunnel and taking up valuable horizontal rod storage space. What is the easiest solution to fill in the holes?

I appreciate any ideas you may have! :mrgreen:

Nick

Attachments

• Parker18 Small.jpg
    Parker18 Small.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 677
I would say it depends on the level of quality you are looking to achieve. Glass it in and redo the non skid to like new is at one end of the scale. At the other end of the scale would be something as simple as using 5200 and a piece of aluminum cut to cover the opening. You could secure it using 4 screws to hold it down in conjunction with the 5200 around the underside edges? There are guys on here who are pretty talented fabricators. Hopefully they will give you some good ideas. Good luck.

Lots of options depending on time/skill level.

One thought......

You could make some square or rectangular pads out of starboard, route the edges, and attach with countersunk screws to the gunnel. Put a bead of 3M 4000UV around the perimeter to seal.

You could even order them done and ready to install from this place.....

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/king-star ... 7AoduzIA_g

They have lots of cool stuff and carry the factory Parker starboard color as well.

Let us know what you end up doing :D

Thanks for the advice. After thinking about it, I may just remove the 4 holders, then cut them shorter so they won't interfere with the inside gunnel, then re-install. I could then use them as cup holders with the special insert. In addition I would have to re-drill and install the rod holder stop inside and at the bottom of the holder as well.

If your holders have the Parker Logo on them think about removing them and cutting off a less expensive holder to put in the hole. You can resell them on this site at a good price since they don't make them any longer or save them in case you ever sell the boat.

I would like to purchase 2 of rod holders if your not going to use Thanks

Thanks for asking on the rod holders. They are not original and don't have the parker logo on them.
I did have them cut at a machine shop and now look fine and not in the way. I could still use them for a spinning rod or two if needed. :mrgreen:

Back