repainting the non skid

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I utilize solar fans while the boat is not being used. I pop them out and put the regular 'pie plates' in while using the boat. They seem to work well!

IMHO , the easiest way to re-finish non-skid decks is with a complimentary color epoxy paint like Awl-grip with non-skid particles. That way you can break up all that off-white and dress up your boat with a color that is easier to keep clean, and if you ever need to patch or re-paint you can get the exact same color right out of the can, or try a different color altogether. Gelcoat is a pain to use and to COLOR - MATCH! P.S. Don't use too dark a color, it's hot on bare feet!

99Parker2520":386x12ev said:
There are a few here on this site that have installed solar fans on their ports to ventilate the fuel tank and bilge areas. Looks like a great idea when the boat is not being used. I am not sure if they leave them in all of the time while using the boat as they look like they stick up an inch or two. Megabyte may be one who has them.

My solar fans stay in when the boat is in her slip, but are removed when I go out.
I replace the fans with blank plates when out of the slip.

Attachments

• IMG_1855.jpg
    IMG_1855.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 546
  • IMG_1969.jpg
    IMG_1969.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 545
Kevin, are those screw in pie plates or pop in? Also, if you know the name/manufacture/ model number of those solar vent fans I would like to have it. We've talked about yours before and with my charger being mounted in the bilge I've considered adding a pie plate to my existing bilge hatch and using the solar vent to help vent and cool the bilge while at the docks and the charger was on? TKS.
Also, how long will the fan run after dark or at all after dark?

shawnee83":14lf7mhk said:
Kevin, are those screw in pie plates or pop in? Also, if you know the name/manufacture/ model number of those solar vent fans I would like to have it. We've talked about yours before and with my charger being mounted in the bilge I've considered adding a pie plate to my existing bilge hatch and using the solar vent to help vent and cool the bilge while at the docks and the charger was on? TKS.

They are pop-in pie plates.
I would have to go back to my project post to get the particulars on mine, but they are a pretty common item in West Marine or on Amazon.
My battery charger is in my bilge too, but I just leave the hatch open when I'm charging the batteries.
There are internal batteries that are charged by the sun. Not certain how far into the night they will go.
I set my fans to exhaust, batteries on, light off, sun on.

Attachments

• IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 128
  • DSCN0016.jpg
    DSCN0016.jpg
    972.9 KB · Views: 128
Brent":8rfjr09l said:
I bought my solar fans from Amazon and mounted on old pie plates for easy removal

Brent, after looking at Kevin's again, it looks like the pie plates he mounts his fans in are larger than the standard OE on mine? I don't know if that size would work mounting on the existsin bilge hatch and I think the smaller OE size I have would be better for that? I'm guessing yours are perhaps the same size as mine? Can you tell me what model/brand you used? When the fans are in I'm assuming the area under still stays dry if a big rain happens?

Megabyte":2ozw4l6m said:
shawnee83":2ozw4l6m said:

They are pop-in pie plates.
I would have to go back to my project post to get the particulars on mine, but they are a pretty common item in West Marine or on Amazon.
My battery charger is in my bilge too, but I just leave the hatch open when I'm charging the batteries.
There are internal batteries that are charged by the sun. Not certain how far into the night they will go.
I set my fans to exhaust, batteries on, light off, sun on.

Thanks Kevin. I'm scrambling to finish up so I may just pop the hatch for now but I do think the solar fan would be a good idea for my set up. Guess I'll addd it to the list. Waiting to finish the rest of my project before I post but it's coming along.

I think my deck hatches were replaced previously so I ordered yhe same Tempress ones from Fisheries Supply

Pry-Out Deck Plate
Sku# 72989
Item ID TPS 43191
Mfg# 43191
Pry-Out Deck Plates, 6" (6-3⁄4" Cut Out) Ivory
Other Details Size - 6" (6-3⁄4" Cut Out) Ivory

$13.48 1 EACH $13.48

Pry-Out Deck Plate
Sku# 68882
Item ID TPS 43331
Mfg# 43331
Pry-Out Deck Plates, 8" (8-3⁄4" Cut Out) Ivory
Other Details Size - 8" (8-3⁄4" Cut Out) Ivory

Sunforce Fan
https://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-81300-S ... op?ie=UTF8

This was years ago and I would check around for better and improved or other vendors. The first fan lasted a long time!

Dale H started the process by using inverted P traps in deck plates. ingenious
The main reason I bought a Parker and followed all of his projects and this site is a gold mine

For no particular reason, I went with solar fans. I replaced the deck hatches and bought 2 fans but only used one
It works great if have a good light source and bilge is dry and so is the cabin bilge. If you have good light and 2 fans it will definitely well aerate the bilge

Brent":2d04nh9k said:
I think my deck hatches were replaced previously so I ordered yhe same Tempress ones from Fisheries Supply

Pry-Out Deck Plate
Sku# 72989
Item ID TPS 43191
Mfg# 43191
Pry-Out Deck Plates, 6" (6-3⁄4" Cut Out) Ivory
Other Details Size - 6" (6-3⁄4" Cut Out) Ivory

$13.48 1 EACH $13.48

Pry-Out Deck Plate
Sku# 68882
Item ID TPS 43331
Mfg# 43331
Pry-Out Deck Plates, 8" (8-3⁄4" Cut Out) Ivory
Other Details Size - 8" (8-3⁄4" Cut Out) Ivory

Sunforce Fan
https://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-81300-S ... op?ie=UTF8

This was years ago and I would check around for better and improved or other vendors. The first fan lasted a long time!

Dale H started the process by using inverted P traps in deck plates. ingenious
The main reason I bought a Parker and followed all of his projects and this site is a gold mine

For no particular reason, I went with solar fans. I replaced the deck hatches and bought 2 fans but only used one
It works great if have a good light source and bilge is dry and so is the cabin bilge. If you have good light and 2 fans it will definitely well aerate the bilge

Great information Brent. Thank you!!!

99parker2520 how long ago did you redo your non skid wit that material ? how did /does it hold up? does the traction good?

Did it last summer and it has held up very well so far. Used Jamestown Distributors Total Boat. Primer and paint.

Back