Repower cutout transom 2320 pilot house

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoody201

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 1997 2320 DV with a notched transom. No bracket. Right now there is a older 200hp Mercury Optimax on the boat. This year I have had constant break downs and I’m just done with it. So looking to repower. I have read that Parker’s of this age are very stern heavy due to the fuel tank being located far aft. I found one thread where a guy repowered with a heavier 4 stroke and had issues with water coming up the scuppers and the boat just not sitting right. I would like to get a Yamaha, I like the reputation and there is a dealer who will do the repower only a few miles down the road from me. I went in and talked with the service guy. We discussed the weight issues. He said they did a notched Parker 2320 in the spring with a new v6 250 Yamaha and it really didn’t sit right at all. The only real option that I have would be the newer Yamaha in-line 4 200hp. It only weighs 489 pounds. The v6 250 comes in at 562lbs. So I’ve run the boat for 5 years with the 2stroke 200hp Merc.... it does okay.. I wish it had a little more. Doing a repower I was hoping for the 250 or at least the 225. Bottom line what do you think about putting the in-line 4 200 hp on a older 2320DV?

Might consider the new Evinrude 2 strokes. They will probably get you close to the weight you need as well the 250hp

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I have a 1994 2320 with a bracket and I’m dealing with the wet deck issue myself. Mine is powered with a Honda bf225. Personally I’d say 225hp is the minimum for this hull. I’d consider an Armstrong flotation bracket as a possible way to increase buoyancy in the stern. My plan is to add some saddle tanks on my bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2520 and was concerned about wet decks when I was looking at a bracket. I went with a planning surface extension to maximize my floatation at rest and during planning. It was worked great I love my 30” extension for my f300. My scuppers are now a little higher than before. And I use less trim tabs when running.

5e0aa9982d40807fc37b41e0cbc730b5.jpg

a799b0d370b013217788f22646025013.jpg

Thanks for replies. I’m going to do some research on brackets. The sales guy was very knowledgeable... but he’s still a sales guy you know. He assured me that the in-line 4 200 would somehow be just as fast as my v6 2troke 200. Or so close I wouldn’t feel the difference. I just can’t drop 20k for a new outboard and be like oh I should have done something else. I need to get this right the first time. I’ve also been looking at a lot of boats that people have been repower if with the in-line 4 and they are usually around 2500lbs. Smaller Grady’s, 21sea Hunt etc. I think my boat is a little over 4000 dry and it’s got a 150 gallon fuel tank.... not that I ever fill it but still!

I cannot personally confirm it but I’d guess you would be disappointed with a 200. Like was mentioned above the etech may be a good option. Personally I love my 4 stroke I only wish it was a 300. Both Armstrong and stainless marine make a good bracket.

I have the same model and vintage and notch transom with splash guard. Repowered in 2010 with a zuke df250. Yes it sits a little heavy in the stern compared to the old two stoke yami. Had to adjust bottom paint up maybe an inch. Never have a wet deck. I could prob shoot you a pix on how it sits. You can always relocate the batteries forward.in a pinch.

Back