Repower on Parker 2520xl from a Yamaha F225 to Suzuki DF300

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran the engine for 4hours today to obtain the needed hours for the first service ( 20 hours ) I'am slipped in Redondo Beach so will have the boat pulled this next Friday and Kent Anderssen Marine will move the engine three holes and then I will check the rpms at max throttle. Right now I'm at 5400 rpm's at max throttle with a full tank of fuel. The magic question is how many rpm's will be gained raising the engine.
I like the 16x18.5 prop and hope to keep the prop if its close to the proper range. ( 5700-6300 ). At 4200 rpm I am at 28 mph with better than 2mph. Raising the engine should give me more rpms, economy, and speed.
I opted for the single with a kicker and am very happy with the decision. We do a lot a power trolling for Halibut and need to run at about 1mph for the best speed. The Yamaha 8hp high thrust is perfect and I have it attached to the main and operate from the pilothouse.
Greg

Your's may very well be different as we are talking Apples to Oranges here.

When I raised my 2- DF-140's 2 holes I picked up 200RPM top end.

I went from 6200 to 6400. I also picked up fuel millage.

This increase in RPM caused me to go up on the prop pitch to bring the max RPM back down. They will turn 6200 loaded lite.

Now I'm surprised that the Suzzy dealer let the boat out without getting the height close to begin with.

My situation was different. I installed everything.

Now on to Suzzy prop's. Turn the prop over and look at the backside. The dia - pitch are embossed in the casting.

Don't you believe what it say's on the pitch.

I've heard stories in the past of the pitch being off as much a 2in less. Don't ask me why? I don't have a clue, but here are my results with having the new props scanned with a computer at my local prop shop that I deal with.

The 1st set were 3 X 14 X 18.

When they were scanned they measured

1st set were 3 X 14 X 18

LH = 16.75 pitch
RH = 17 pitch

I had them reworked to 18.5 pitch.

The 2nd set were 3 X 14 X 20.

When they were scanned they measured

The LH is 18.7 pitch
The RH is 19.1 pitch.

That's about what I expected.

They have been reworked to a even 20 pitch.

So this proved the rumors that I had heard.

The cost of reworking these new prop's was about $70ea.

Finally resplashed yesterday after moving the engine up and changing all fluids. The Suzuki DF 300 has 5 mounting bracket holes available. Initially the motor was located in the first hole that placed the engine in the lowest position. I chose to take digital photos of the cavitation plate at cruise and then determine how much to move the motor. The cavitation plate appeared to be about 4-5" below the surface of the water. I then decided to move the motor to the 4th hole and see what happens. Prior to the move the maximun rpm's were 5400 when the engine was trimmed out. After I was able to obtain 5650 with the 16x18.5 prop. The problem that was encountered was trimming the engine out increased rpm's but not speed. Apparently I was in disturbed water when trimmed out and not able to maximize the speed.
The motor at max rpm's should be between 5700-6300. The next move may be the second hole with the 16x17 prop. I like the larger prop which enables me to cruise at lower rpm's but am worried about overpropping the engine.
The test were run with a full tank of fuel and two persons on board with all gear. The boat comes on plane quickly even when loaded down. I would guess my weight between 8-9000lbs.
If anyone has dealt with props and engine height please let me know your experiences

Greg

Just my 2 cents.

I think that one of the greatest benefits of the Suzuki is the ability to swing a 16 diameter wheel. BUT in this case, I would try several other props and move away from Suzuki props and the 16inch diameter.

I think that your mounting high is good now at the forth hole or at least a good starting point until you get the prop correct. I would try and swing a few other brands of roughly 14.5 X19 pitches. And go from there.

In my opinion, I would try these props below. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck

19pitch Rev4
19pitch Mirage Plus
20pitch Enertia

Yeah, I gotta agree. IMHO set the motor up so the vent plate is even to the water flow for best results.

Now 16" wheels will take some doing to find and you may need a prop with serious cupping, e.g., Turbo or Stiletto, as they grab water like mad!

HalibutRustler,
Fast forward now to 2017, how is that Suzuki doing? Top speed, cruise speed? What prop worked out? I'm getting ready to repower my 2004 2520xl modified v, f225...think we have the same boat. Thanks in advance!!!
Todd

Back