REPOWER WITH MERC OR EVENRUDE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KISSMYBASS

Reaction score
HI SKIPPERS ,BOUGHT A USED 1999 2520 THE 1999 YAMAHA 250 HP SALT WATER SERIES DECIDED TO CRAB OUT ON ME AFTER TWO WEEKS , BLEW #6 CYLINDER , NEW POWER HEAD UP HERE IN NY GOES FOR 5 K SO I NEED MY FELLOW PAKER OWNERS ADVIVE , DO I GO WITH A 2009 250 HP OPTI MAX OR A 250 HP EVENRUDE E TECH PLEASE HELPPPPPP LOL EVERY MECHANIC I SPEAK TO GIVES ME A DIFFERNT ANS THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

If it were mine, provided you had a local dealer, my 1st choice would be the Suzuki 250hp 4-stroke, followed by the Yam 250hp model. I used to be an OMC fan, but Suzi's reliability, performance (slick larger prop), and value for the $$ have me convinced! No need to 'add' oil anymore :) !

Or, if enough ca$h, spring for the 300hp version of either OB. And to be honest, I'd buy that new Yam 300hp over the Yam 250hp, which is believed to be only ~235hp when not running higher octane fuel (which it requires in order to produce the labeled HP rating, as per their own marketing literature).

Go Suzi and don't look back :D !

;)

My preference would be a Yamaha 4 stroke, Yamaha has what they they call the high power series which comes in 200, 225 and 250 hp and is a 3.4 liter enigine. then they have their new series which they call offshore 225, 250 & 300. these new engines are 4.2L and weigh about 50 lbs less then the high powered models. you may be able to get a good deal on the high power models, because dealers are wanting to get rid of them. the down side of the new motors is that you will have to buy new contols, the new motors only work with command link controls. the high powered series will probably work with you existing controls. I have twin 250's in the high powered series. Where I live charter captains are getting 3,000 to 4,000 hours out of their yamaha's. Yamaha had been offering a 6 year warranty on their bigger engines, however that offer ended in March.

A good quality local mechanic/shop that will service your new motor should play into your decision making. I would never go back to a 2-stroke. Yammies and Zukes for me.

Good advice already spoken here. Good, credible, knowledgeable dealer plays into decision. Yammies or Zukes get my vote, too. They go and go and go.

I wouldn't even consider a 2 stroke ever again ... 4 Stroke Yammie or Zuke is the ony intelligent option

i would enthusiastically recommend E-tec if you are stuck on getting a direct inject 2 stroke.

The optimaxes are LOUD at idle. My hpdi is noisier than a 4stroke at idle but by no means as loud as the opti.

The boat next to me last had twin optimaxs on his boat, it was a seaswirl striper if i recall, and he consistantly had lower unit problems and trim/tilt problems with one or the other motors.

I'm not saying merc makes bad engines, but, I wouldn't buy their 2 strokes, far too loud.

I Had a e-tec it was amazing on torque and fuel efficient to a point but once i factor in the oil costs od xd50 or 100 it was not worth it again .......

i agree the sound sucks !!!!!!

My twin f225 4x are so quiet i often forget to turn em off seriously

but my cost per mile is lower for sure

heres an example:

Montauk to west side of Fishers island round trip is 30 miles on average including so moving around

On my old single evinrude 225 i would use 18 to 19 gallons doing 21 to 23 mph and use about a 1/2 gallon of xd 50/100
total cost gas @ 3.39 per gallon
oil at 39$

$85

same trip on with TWIN 225 4x at 28-31 mph
21 gallons
NO OIL
Total @ 3.39 $ per gallon
$72

I WILL NEVER BUY A 2x EVER again ......NEVER ......NEVER

I am fishing a 2820 with twins for less than my old 2600 striper with a 225 evinrude....

I could not be happier with the economy and very good overall performance

I am sure other will chime in, about the other brands, mine r quiet , and smooth and easy to get parts 4 as well as fuel efficient ....

Attachments

• 0319001811.jpg
    0319001811.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 932
Great comparison Reely!

I almost wonder if your Striper would have been a little more efficient with more horses. Seems like a lot of boat for a single 225.

I tend to agree, 2-strokes were great back in the day. Now not so much with the leaps and bounds 4-strokes have made. We have had awesome luck with Evinrudes (and Johnsons) through the years. BUT, they had better be doing the R and D on a 4-stroke model if they plan to be around much longer IMHO. Times have changed.

My Zuke out performs my old 2 stroke yammie OX66 hands down. No more oil, great...IMPROVED torque, good economy and unbelievable at trolling.

Thats why. Simply all positive no negative.

Harpoon":1pfjrxgv said:
Thats why. Simply all positive no negative.
Upfront cost and weight are the only negatives.
The upfront cost difference is easily made up in a season of use.
The weight difference is coming down quickly, and so long as you avoid Honda (best reliability, but heavy heavy motors), its not enough to make a difference in the boat's handling.

If you had a much older boat with a notched transom (one that was designed for a lightweight 2-stroke), I'd say get another 2-S unless you raise/close the transom. Our old Seacraft (pre-transom-raising) would have been downright dangerous with a 200HP 4-stroke on the back. Its got a 150 OceanPro on it right now, but will be repowered with a Yamaha or Suzuki 200 in the near future.

I chose to go with a left over 2006 Etec 225. Saved me a few K It was the same motor as the 2008 except for the software for the computer which the Marina i used updated it for free. I pondered all motors down to a older Yammie 2-stroke hpdi which my dad has twins 200h.p. on his 26ft. Triton. Great motors as well but when i gathered all the info and watched the promo video about 100 time i chose the E-Tec. I love the motor, quite and full of torque. Top end is pretty impressive as well. about 38-42 M.P.H. on g.p.s. on a 23dvcc with prime conditions. Cruise at about 27-29 M.P.H. running the motor at about 3700-4000 r.p.m. and working the trim tabs. I use the XD50 oil which is a little less expensive and at cruising speed im right around 7.7-8.2 g.p.h. Not bad for 225 and 3000lb boat. Just wish i had the $ for the 300hp. With the 4strokes I was hesitant because of the extra weight and all those extra moving parts..timing chains, belts, etc... I've also owed a I/O and if your not on top of it all the time the tend to breakdown fairly easy. 4strokes are like a I/O cramp into a outboard, and they are louder at cruising speed than my E-Tec.

OK, What about the true costs when you compare all of these different OB's with say a 5.7 Volvo/Penta DuoProp considering fuel, oil, maintenance , longevity, simplicity, parts and resale value, as well as performance.

Really, what comes out on top?

I'm not just asking because I got a hell of a deal on a '01 2520 with this powerplant, or the fact that chicks dig the sound of a big American V8, (believe me they do, or at least I've heard).

After a string of different outboards, from an incomprehensible FICHT to Yammi4s that somehow needed an $1,000 trip to the shop (each) at least once a year to keep that legendary reliability, I'm going to try to run a motor that I can actually recognize what is going on on, and carry tools and parts that I can do my own repairs at sea the way man was intended to do, if you know what I mean.

Seriously, This experiment was my choice. What I need to know is the experiences of all of you to compare. What are your costs with these totally different powerplants, and how happy are you with what you have?
I've got my boat, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it, since I've wanted a Parker for 20 years at least, but I'd appreciate some experience to tell me what I've got to look forward to.

Can't wait to get your input.

Smitty

PS. on the above:

FYI, I'm not talking about maneuverability, sound quality or anything but total cost per trip and how much it cost you , as well as if you feel it was worth it.

As far as the original question of this post, The Yammi's a pretty good motor. Unless there's beau coup hours on the motor, I personally can't see what would be more cost-efficient than spending $5k for a new powerhead and getting essentially a new motor, as the bottoms are pretty much bulletproof. Anything else would entail more money,parts controls etc. without improving much in the way of performance, reliability or economy on a per $ basis.

Smitty

In the long run, I would bet that a SBC would easily outlast an outboard, and be cheaper to maintain over its life.
If you ever had to replace the motor, those costs are less too.

Be aware though that exhaust risers don't last forever, so factor that cost into your equation.
Also factor in the cost of maintaining the outdrive. Volvo duo props are good items, but they require maintenance too.

Treat that boat well and it should easily return the favor(s). :wink:

DEAR MEGA...lol just picking some fun....

Anyway im not so sure but if you were to do the labor yourself on both motors and set a time span of say 3000 hours on both motors and run both at EXACTLY the same speed i'd say that the inboard would loose and here r my reasons....

1 Say you ran a twin inboards at 28 mph and ran 30 miles every trip
what would you consume in fuel id say that it would tip in favor of the outboards
2 If you did this till 100 hours the outboards would have a lof with material costing about $120 or so ? but it would only take an hour to do both
the inboard???? dont know so some one has to fill the blank in .........
3 Point im trying to make is that its real darn easy to take care of outboards and you do have a nice clean deck space...
BUT IN the long run you are probably correct in that the inboards cheap to do major repairs............HERES THE REAL KICKER
4 If you do 100-150 hrs a season then your outboards will last 20-25 years.....!!!!!!
NO WAY THE INBOARDS WILL last ......with out major repairs...
the outboards will have needed a head gasket at 1500 and basic maintenance and sensors that crap out here n there ...

But i know this is just my opinion and the people who have inboards will swear on them, hell they will even tell you that they r QUIET..lol and that the sip gas..lol......but i just had nothing to do tonight ...cheers and happy fishing

I always tell people "The most relaxing thing in the world is fishing. The second most relaxing is working on the boat that's gonna' take you fishing"

Smitty

NortonSmitty":3qb5zrud said:
I always tell people "The most relaxing thing in the world is fishing. The second most relaxing is working on the boat that's gonna' take you fishing"

Agreed! :)

Back