Rev 4 17" on my new 2300 w/ F250

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmcclellan

Reaction score
Went on yesterday. Haven't had it out yet. Was getting 6000/6100 rpm with stock 15 X 17 black prop at 46 mph. Cruise around 28 mph 4200 rpm @ 3.4 mpg. Hoping Rev 4 will best those numbers. Could only trim up to three bars with stock prop before it started venting.
When I put the new prop on and torqued it to 55NM, the cotter pin slots on the nut didn't line up with the holes in the shaft. I backed the nut off a little to line it up instead of tightening. That OK ?? Also I used the flo torq II hub kit for Yamaha props. Will I get prop rattle??

You're OK.

I think the Yamaha engine manual calls for about 45 ft/lbs and Mercury calls for 55 ft/lbs. What I did when I was running that prop was torque to 50 ft/lbs then check the cotter pin line up........then tighten a little to line it up which probably put me somewhere between 50 and 55.

After you run it (especially with a new insert) you will want to retighten it anyway.

My Yamaha manual states prop nut torque at 55 nm which is 40.6 lbs/ft.
G. J. you've done quite a bit of prop testing it seems. You think I'll see better numbers?

I think you will enjoy the overall feel and responsiveness of the rev 4. The bite and acceleration of the prop are just unbelievable.

I was not able to stick with it because the 3 blade Mirage Plus got better mpg under heavy load at 4500 rpm. Even though I liked the Rev 4 better, especially the feel, I couldn't justify the mpg penalty on my 200+ mile fishing trips. All props have their pluses and minuses.......that was the only minus I could find.

JC,

Let me know how she handles as I have the same exact boat as yours 2006 2300CCDV with 250 HP and grouper Jim told me I would love it,let me know,thanks.

Robert

I like it! No throttle needed for slow speed handling at the dock. Backs up with no throttle.
Top end the same at around 46 mph. Top RPM same at 6000-6100. Cruise went from 28 mph @ 4200 rpm @ 3.4 gph to
31 mph @ 4200 rpm @ 3.6 gph.

JC,

Can you tell me what size prop you got on the Rev 4,I see from your post that I have the same one you had which was the black Yamamha 15 x17 on the 250 HP.

What is the part number for the hub kit and did you get all at Prop Gods ??

Did you feel the stern lift more and bow down ??

Robert

Its a Rev 4 17". I got it from a local shop I had a credit with. They got me the correct hub kit. Not sure of the number. Felt like it lifted the entire boat out of the water more, not just the stern.
Where I was hitting 6100 rpm with 3/4 tank of gas, just me on board, and some fishing gear, I'm wondering if I'd benefit to going to a 19" pitch.
The motor did sound good. Didn't sound like it was laboring or bogging going up swells. Anyone have any opinions to going to a 19 pitch ?

jcmcclellan":1192ixrw said:
Anyone have any opinions to going to a 19 pitch ?

Best to be under-pitched than over-pitched. Ideally with 1/2 fuel, 2 guys, and std gear on board, you want to be 200 RPMs off maximum.

Your boat will only GO SLOWER as the season progresses ... more gear gets added, the bottom fouls, and the motor will naturally lose 200 RPMs or more during the high heat days of the Summer.

I think the 19" pitch might be too much. If anything, a good prop shop like NE Propeller could add some cupping or pitch to lower you a bit (if needed).

What is the maximum RPMs for that motor? You NEED to know this ...

Check the Parker hull/prop database here in the power forum. There are numbers posted there. Also, after you have run your boat for awhile and get some stable numbers in a variety of sea conditions, please post your numbers in the database for others to reference.

I ran the rev 4 19 on my boat which is the same hull as yours but different weight and CG. Your engine is probably mounted in the second hole from the top so your WOt rpms would likely be around around 5800 with the 19.

I would not recommend adding cup to the rev 4. The design of those blades are specialized and very precise and by design with very little cup which subsequently results in dramatic stern lift. Added cup and or rake will reduce stern lift.

My fishing buddy has a rev 4 19 with a couple of hours on it......it sits in his shed......he did not care for it on his 2320. According to him it seemed to bog the motor a bit when fully loaded which is how we tend to run on our long range fishing trips. Might work out if you don't often run heavy.

So far like the prop, don't love it. Haven't been logging numbers but I'm thinking a 17" is right on. One thing I do notice is fuel economy goes way down when the water gets a little rough.

Yep, but that would be about the only negative. If you don't have to go long distances in big water then the Rev 4 IMO is the PERFECT prop.

On my 2320 f/250 in big water the rev 4 got 2.2 mpg and the Mirage 18 got 2.6.

You've got it exactly right. The wide thrust cone of the rev 4 sacrifices much of its thrust to surface water (to create lift) and therefore suffers when high thrust is needed to push through big water.

Back