rod racks 2510 wa

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been multiple posts in the past where custom rod storage has been highlighted, but as I recall, most of those projects have been in pilothouse cabins.
Try using the search button up on the masthead to see those projects.

Hppefully some of our WA members can share their rod storage projects to get you started. :wink:

I posted pics of rod storage in the v-berth of my 2510. They are attached to a thread in the projects forum concerning rod storage. I'll see if I can find the thread and post the link.

Dave

thanks for the advice.

a salesperson at the dealer where i bought the boat suggested cutting a square (say 3x3") from the carpet on the hull and then glueng a piece of hardwood to which i might screw the base of a rod rack.

i ordered a 4 rod fentress poly rack from amazon. today i bought a strp of 1x3" oak and some good glue that should work for wood on fiberglass.

i plan to cut the square in the carpet, glue the square of wood and then screw the rod racks into the wood. i could through bolt the rod rack base to the wood before gluing.

since i am a good piano player but not much at such carpentry i can only hope it will work and look reasonably good.

any thoughts?

I made a similar installation on my 1801CC 5 years ago.
Use mahogany strips, 2 ton epoxy and masking tape to hold it to the hull until it setup. Has worked perfectly for 5 years. So---think you are on the right track. Might consider some other type of wood that will be more marine environment friendly. Teak , mahogany, etc will last years without rot.

piano player":1s8d13c3 said:
thanks. i will get some different wood and glue.
I find mahogany glues easier than teak and with any varnish/finish, can look similar. Wash the wood and frp with acetone prior to gluing and I think a 2-part epoxy would be good.

You could even mill a dovetail on back-side of the wood or even add just holes for the 'glue' to set into. I know some that have done this with 3M 5200 too.

i this weekend installed the fentress 4 rod poly racks in my 2510. i wasn't able to find the 2 ton epoxy when i had time to do this, and in addition i hadn't found some good marine mahogany.

i cut four 3x4x1 oak blocks. i found some heavy duty (3 inch) commercial grade velcro in the garage.

i screwed the rack bases to the blocks, cut 4 3x4 openings in the carpet glued to the inner hull in the cabin and set the rod racks in place.

i at first fully intended to later get some mahogany and epoxy and install the racks permanently. however, we've been out fishing twice since the "temporary" install and the racks seem to be holding perfectly! who would have known!

they are tight! so we will see. i will try to remember to take a picture to post next time we're out.

Piano Player - Here's a set of Rod Holders I made from Starboard 4 or 5 years ago and they've held up well. I fastened them inside to the seat and lip under the w/a cabin with brass L brackets and stainless H/W. I may still have the template, which I made from 1/4" plywood.

Beest Regards to All - RTC <><

Attachments

• SANY0121.JPG
    SANY0121.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 5,026
  • SANY0122.JPG
    SANY0122.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 5,026
  • SANY0123.JPG
    SANY0123.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 5,026
  • SANY0126.JPG
    SANY0126.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 5,026
ReelTimeCapt,
those rod racks are exceptional!

i did try the velcro bit. the velcro held tight to the wood blocks and to each other. however, the sticky side did not adhere to the hull inside. they came off after a few days.

i was thinking of glueing the stickem side of the velcro to the hull but have decided to redo the blocks with some epoxy after drilling some cavities to the underside of the wood blocks.

i'm sure there are better woodworking methods but i am, afterall, just a dumb piano player.

i'll let you know how they work.

the rod racks actually looked great and worked great until they fell off.

in addition, we caught quite a few fish this past weekend even after the rods endured falling off their racks!

If you decide to give the velcro another chance, here is my trick...

I have a number of items on my boat that are attached with 'peel and stick' items. Velcro and nylon zip-tie mounts mostly.
My trick is to put a thin coat of clear marine silicone on the sticky side of the velcro or cable mount, then stick into place and let dry for 24 hours.

The items I've attached using this method have remained attached for several seasons so far. :wink:
Here are a few examples...

Zip-tie mounts inside the transom help hold my Navman 2100 fuel transducer vertical and secure.

Image-5C4CB30C4F5411DB.jpg

Sharp knife mounted with velcro, stbd side cockpit.

Image-0BDB8034DD2511D9.jpg

Another sharp knife mounted with velcro to the side of the sounder.

Image-0EC2D931F14A11D8.jpg

Hope this helps. :)

Back