rust stain removal question?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wharf rat

Reaction score
What is a good product for removing rust stain from the boat. Is a buffing tool needed? wharf rat is a poor neglected vessel. There is a reason for her beeing repoed! The first owner was a hack! It is almost as if she was cry for help while she sat on a moring somewere! Help needed for sad rust stained 2120!

Any rust removal product from home depot. I typically use barkeepers friend from home depot. cheap powder but takes it off pretty quickly. I know some on here use the gel version of this product but I have never seen it.

Try pool stain treatment that has oxalic acid in it. Make a little up in a spray bottle. spray on stains let sit for few min and spray off. If stains are bad take a wet sponge and make a paste and scrub. A bottle will last a long time.

This is my first fiberglass boat. In working the tougher spots can I damage the surfaces or cause damage to gel coat? I can't wait to try catchup.

Thank you all. ej

It doesnt matter what the rust spot looks like any of those products will eliminate the spot no big deal.

I use the oxalic acid crystals.......Just mix up a gal jug full every now and then at about medium strength. Use the gal jug to keep your spray bottle topped off. The instructions are on the bottle. I use it for cleaning all stains on gelcoat. Just don't leave it on too long; just a minute or so, then wipe off and rinse with lots of fresh water. It's magic elixir...........and Merlin loves it.
Then go fishing and get it dirty again.

Like a dumbass, I used steel wool on my boat and ended up with rust stains on the deck. Barkeepers friend took it right off.

Every time out I learn another thing not to do!

Back