Rust

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark T

Reaction score
I have been using collinite metal polish, but I still get rust on the cleats and swim platform. The dock hands at my marina tell me its typical for parkers to rust. They said Grady Whites use a higher grade stainless and do not have the problem. Can these parts be upgraded?

Sounds like Grady is using 316L hardware, which will 'weep' less, if at all, then typical 304SS series that most boats are made with.

Mark T":1ueweuaa said:
The dock hands at my marina tell me its typical for parkers to rust. They said Grady Whites use a higher grade stainless and do not have the problem.

Did you actually believe those 'dock hands'?
No 'rust' on *any* of the stainless on my 1996 Parker. If it was going to happen, I think it might have showed up by now. 8)

The boat is washed and dried before being dry stacked. Why the rust?

Megabytes boat is kept in full sun exposure. The boat left in the rack could be in shade, so the hardware sits wet and doesn't fully dry. Any standing water or condensation left to sit on 304SS will cause it to 'stain' what looks to be rust, as it is an oxide precipitate.

It can also mean the bedding on your hardware is compromised and needs to be replaced. When I took possession of my '92 hull in 2000, I removed ALL thru-bolted hardware (I wet out the wood core with thinned epoxy) was re-bedded in LifeCaulk (those subject to strain, e.g., cleats, hawse pipes, etc.) with everything else bedded in Life Seal, both products by BoatLife Company.

This is typically seen on the rear fifting eyes that 'weep' rust stains. My '92 shows no such staining ...

Miss Char (on here) is experiencing the same thing with his newer Parker 2320. He has mentioned it several times. His last Parker was great in comparison to his current one.

My boat was purchased new in 2011. I had one cleat replaced by starling marine after 6 months of ownership.

I would possibly call Parker direct with your hull # and ask if any other dealers/customers are reporting similar hardware rust issues. It is possible that a bad lot of deck hardware made it to the factory from the supplier and the problems are just showing up now once these one or two year old boats are exposed to the elements. It may just be a few remote cases but it wouldn't hurt to call and discuss. No rust problems on my 08' yet.

I spoke to Eric from Parker. He thinks because they power wash the boat,that it may not remove all the salt. He said it may cause the salt to get into nooks and crannies and cause the rust. He is actually going over to my marina to take a look at a problem I'm having with the clips that hold up the curtain in the console. I will ask him to look at the rusted hardware as well.

Good deal. The factory is very supportive of their customers and Eric is definately the man to talk to. Keep us updated.

To update. I spoke with Eric from Parker. He confirmed the use of 316 stainless steel, but pointed out that Its not the same quality of years past. He stated that it is manufactured oversees(China).

I picked up a new 2120 last year. It's on a slip 9 months out of the year. I have had issues with the swim platform brackets weeping rust and also have has issues with the rear hold downs weeping rust. Is there anyway to get rust stains out of fiber glass. Love the boat but a little disappointed with the quality of stainless.

I also had rust stains from my rear tie downs and swim platform. I added zincs on each and have had no problems since.

Regards,

Dan

Fish":2olsg4c0 said:
I picked up a new 2120 last year. It's on a slip 9 months out of the year. I have had issues with the swim platform brackets weeping rust and also have has issues with the rear hold downs weeping rust. Is there anyway to get rust stains out of fiber glass. Love the boat but a little disappointed with the quality of stainless.

Try Bar Keepers Friend. Works great.

My boat shows some signs of weeping rust.....but not really a huge issue. BKF handes this well.
Make a small amount of "paste" with it ,rub it lightly...and poof! It's gone.Rinse well w/fresh water.

Mines an 08.maybe the Stainless Parker bought back then was from somewhere else.

Good luck.
MJ.

Back