rusting screws/bolts

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger 3

Reaction score
I have a 2004 2120 SC and really like everything about the boat, except that most of the screws arounf the window frames, all the compass screws and the bolts inside the cabin that hold the outside grab rails have rusted. They all have to be replaced.

I would think that Parker would use a better grade of stainless. Has anyone else had this problem?

Any stainless steel will 'rust' or discolor when wet with water, as that covers the oxide layer that actually makes SS 'stain less', not truly corrosion resistant. The SS screws around the frame might be discoloring as water is sitting on them, in the pockets. But I'd remove them and goop them up good with TefGel (preferred) or that blue-colored waterproof grease I talk about, specially if the frames are aluminum. You can even apply thin heatshrink to the cutting thread portion, if self-tapping screws.

Getting back to SSs ...the best you could get for maritime use would be 316L series SS, but ... it is extremely difficult to find all sizes needed in that series. The most prevalent is 304. I'm not making excuses for Parker, as all boat brands will show this phenomenon. Plus note, I'd bet there's both bogus or fake SS hardware on the market or import stuff made with less carbon and/or less controls to specs.

Dale,
That is exactly my point. With the quality product Parker turns out it is not consistant that they would not demand a good quality ( 316) from their suppliers. you are right about lesser grades of SS. I experienced this buying at a big box store. I have to disagree, all stainless does not rust. there is no rust on the screws/bolts that are used to mount the rod holders,cleats etc. The cabin has positive ventalation so condensation is not the problem. I am talking rust, as if plain mild steel had been used. As I stated before a few of the screws in the window frames have not rusted that are right next ot screws that have ruated, this would indicate a better quality was mixed in . I have seen cases where small ammounts of rust have occured in screw slots where a iron screw driver was used and small particles of steel embeded in the stainless.
Thanks for providing Classic Parker it is great.
Happy holidays to you and yours,
Bob

I has the same problem with my 02 2520 SC I picked up last year. Changed out most bolts in the cabin with hardware from boaters world and they are already starting to tarnish/rust. I gave up. I may pull out and just clean and paint flat balck.
George

as has been said before, "stainless" means "stain less", not "stain free". is it posing a structural hazard to the fastener, or is it just unsightly? if its really bothering you, you could always paint it or replace it for yourself with higher grade stainless.

on a side note, none of the factory fasteners in my '96 2530 have as of yet shown any sign of rusing. go figure :?

Rinsing with fresh water and ocasional use of NevrDull keeps my SS clean, but it will tarnish.

I would like to find 316 to replace stuff, but the only place I know of that has any kind of selection is McMaster-Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/ , but it is pricey and more brittle than 304 or 300SS.

Attachments

• nevrdull.gif
    nevrdull.gif
    13 KB · Views: 582
FWIW I once bought 10" 3/8" and 1/2" bolts in 316 series from www.go2marine.com, a large chandlery on the West Coast that probably sells a ton of premium hardware to the offshore boating (comm) fleets.

Type 304
The most common of austenitic grades, containing approximately 18% chromium and 8% nickel. It is used for chemical processing equipment, for food, dairy, and beverage industries, for heat exchangers, and for the milder chemicals.

Type 316
Contains 16% to 18% chromium and 11% to 14% nickel. It also has molybdenum added to the nickel and chrome of the 304. The molybdenum is used to control pit type attack. Type 316 is used in chemical processing, the pulp and paper industry, for food and beverage processing and dispensing and in the more corrosive environments. The molybdenum must be a minimum of 2%.

When I buy SS fasteners nowdays I carry a magnet with me. There is so much SS coming out of China which is so inferior that it can be picked up with a magnet. If it can then leave it on the shelf. Low dose of nickel.

I normally hate to complain but I purchased a new 2008 2520 in the spring. I have used the boat about 6 times and I am a neat and clean freak. my screws have rust my railings have rust around the bases, my boarding ladder has rust, my cleats have rust, my door latch is already corroding. I am not happy! The hard ware on these boats are auwful! I had 6 Grady-Whites before this Parker and not a trace of rust on their hardware. I do love my Parker but I am very disatisfied with the hard ware. It has t be a cheaper grade hard ware. I am very disapointed with this part of my Parker! :(

Dale is absolutely right about the quality of SS. I usually buy most of my SS from jamestowndistributors.com. Although you do have to pay shipping I try to get as many of my projects on paper and figure what I am going to need and then order it. They carry some pretty good quality boat fittings as well as a lot of other gear. Good people to deal with.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all here at Classic Parker!

Back