Second Battery Install question on an 1810

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Speeder

Reaction score
Looking to add a second battery to my 1801... the first battery is on the centerline in the bilge compartment. Where are guys putting the second one when adding to the newer models? I think right behind the battery switch on the starboard side would be the easiest, but I am worried about weight distribution and possibly causing the boat to list at rest. Keeping the weight on the centerline would mean inside the console but then I am looking at a longer run of wires. I dont think I could squeeze a second batter in the bilge compartment next to the first one. Thanks.

I don’t have an 1801 but I would lean towards mounting in the center console if you have room and if you can route the cables back to the bilge and switch? If you do decide to do that, make sure you reference a chart on the proper size cables for the length of run. Roughly, battery’s are 50lbs depending on which one you install, so it will cause a list in the jump seat. Wart suggested to me a BEP Cluster switch for Bat management which I also now like after installing one.

Attachments

• AB60010E-E634-4F8D-A138-09FD00AA0E92.jpeg
    AB60010E-E634-4F8D-A138-09FD00AA0E92.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 306
I feel like I need to keep the boat balanced... also not sure if I want to put the second battery inside the CC do to the length of the run for wires either. I am thinking about moving the original battery into the port jump seat and then place the second one in the starboard jumpseat behind the battery switch. This way I should be fine with weight, avoiding a list. Anybody do this?

That's usually the way it's done.....I'd have to see the boat and look at it closer.....I've never seen the boat you have.....But sounds like your on the right track.

Think about using The Attwood battery trays. These are the only ones I'll use. Why?

#1 They are easy to get out of the way to remove a battery in a tight spot.

#2 They actually hold your battery....Unlike those stupid straps that let a battery slide around.

A battery should not move at All. It's hard on it getting slammed around.

Also.....Think about a Gp-27 Deep Cycle for your House battery. It has more reserve capacity. You never know what you will be adding that needs power down the road.

And Last The BEP Cluster switch shown above. If your using a Perko style switch.....OFF, 1. 2, ALL.

You do not have a House battery no matter what the battery is.... You just have 2 start batteries . It's the way the switch is wired.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/Battery-Tray

9090-A_mn.jpg

Thanks... I will have to do some reading on the BEP switch. Saw a quick little video and it looks pretty slick!

I like to keep things simple, I take what you said regarding the perko switch to mean that I just have two separate batteries, that when one is running the other is not charging? I use the boat frequently and alternate batteries, I feel like I might be ok with what is existing. I had a Whaler previously with the perko switch and two batteries and never had a problem with it. Am I missing something else?

Yep....That's the standard answer. But you can easily Spike your electronics with tht setup. I have now installed 33 BEP cluster switches. Everyone that has one......Loves them.

Mr Speeder, little late but just saw your post. I have a 1801 and my batteries (2) were in the back corner compartments and just too much weight in back. Three years ago moved my 2 to CC and also have 2 in there for the trolling motor ( 2 on left and 2 on right, balanced perfectly) . Left my switch in the back compartment with the Bob's jack plate pump. Added ball scuppers and best thing have ever done...no more wet feet. No water at all in back. The 2 trolling motor batteries are independent of my house and starting batteries and just charge them at the house before going out. Be sure to use tin wire, forgot the gauge, just make sure heavy enough. Not hard to do and boat is now balanced and can tell a big difference with a full load, getting on plane. You will not believe the difference it makes, and you still have room for carrying food/drink cooler under front sear. Plus, it frees up the back compartments for storage. My live well pump/wash down compartment not as crowded now.

Back