shopping for gps/ff. Help!!!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wharf rat

Reaction score
I just got of the hull truth and some dude just got ripped a knew one! Raymarine sound questionable due to there finacial state, Garmin was ok but..., Lorance sounds good but then tech support sounds iffy. I need fellow parker owner opinions on this challenging issue. Just looking for a unit that does the job, is reliable and durrable. Also, a unit that can be integrated with auto pilot and radar in a year or so. Thank you

ej

If my Parker hadn't already come with Raymarine, I would be buying FURUNO. A 1834C with Navionics chartography and 4kw dome is what is being spec'ed for our new Harbormaster patrol boat.

FURUNO. A 1820C is what i have love it 1831mk3 radar and a 582 ff wouldnt want any thing else

wharf rat":3uw4c9pb said:
I just got of the hull truth and some dude just got ripped a knew one!

Yep. That's THT. :roll:

Garmin is at the top of the heap in chart plotters right now, and if I could afford radar for my boat, I would hold out for one of the Furuno 3.5' digital open arrays.

http://www.furunousa.com/products/produ ... ar+Sensors

I have the room on my roof, and I'm not settling for a dome.
Of course, there is that pesky matter of (a lack of) available cash...
:)

I have the similar questions - I am in the market right now for a chart plotter and ff. I have worked with some of the smaller Garmen combo units on other boats and I’m looking for something superior in quality and was concerned that the 4000 units would just be more of the same with a larger screen.

I have a friend with a raymarine with the Navitronics platinum package and the chart plotting seems superior and shows all the charted wrecks.

Can someone comment if the Garmen 4000 units show all the charted wrecks and have better precision than the small combo machines? Any comparision with the image off the RayMarine or the Navitroinics Platnum package would be very useful

Ive also been looking at the humminbird 1100 units which are compatible with the navitronics platinum and you can also get the side scaning transducer.

The humminbird 1100 units are similar in price to the garmen 4000 units and does not apear to require a seperate box as all acessories plug right in.

Any comments or suggestions would be very helpful

So far as I know, no company makes their own marine charts.
They all use the NOAA Office of Coast Survey charts.
As such, if NOAA has charted a wreck, it will be on all of the electronic charts, no matter who packages them.

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/

I run a full garmin package with digital sounder and HD 4kw Dome radar (3010c, GSD22, and GMR18HD) and am very pleased with it. I like it much better than the Raymarine C-series stuff my dad and a few friends have. However if money isnt an issue I would have a Furuno Navnet 3d system. Bang for the buck though, it is tough to beat Garmin.

(I havent fiddled with the new Lowrance HD stuff to compare to the others)

I am currently shopping around for a new chartplotter.

I have looked at the Garmin, Raymarine, Furuno and Lowrance HDS.

I agree the biggest bang for the buck is Garmin. I would love to have a NAVnet 3D but can't justify the expense. A FCV-585 with an Airmar SS264W, 1kw transducer handles the ff duties. Just need a larger plotter.

It depends on your budget and needs.
My needs are simple and there are more deals now.
I bought a Garmin 545s and will upgrade later and keep this a backup

Raymarine update

UPDATE 1-Raymarine seeks sale, ends Garmin talks
Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:45pm IST

Email | Print |
| Single Page
[-] Text [+]

* Says all bank debt will be repaid if sale goes ahead

* Shares close down 5.6 percent

(Adds details)

LONDON, Dec 18 (Reuters) - Debt-laden British firm Raymarine (RAY.L: Quote, Profile, Research) is in exclusive talks over a sale of the business that will likely leave no value for shareholders and has ended discussions with U.S. navigation device maker Garmin (GRMN.O: Quote, Profile, Research).

Raymarine, which makes fishfinders, autopilots, marine radar and GPS systems for leisure boats, said upon the planned sale of Raymarine Holdings, all of its bank debt would be repaid.

"In light of this, Raymarine and its banking syndicate are in constructive discussions in relation to an extension to the Raymarine group's current banking facilities which expire on 31 March 2010," it said in a statement on Friday.

Shares in the firm have plunged from a high of 500 pence in 2007 to a low of 4.50 pence this year. They closed down 5.6 percent at 5.3 pence on Friday, valuing the company at around 5 million pounds ($8 million), compared with a debt pile of 91.6 million at Oct. 30.

It added the proposed transaction was subject to due diligence and that there was no certainty a deal would be completed.

Garmin had been looking at buying Raymarine in a bid to gain market share in Europe but no deal materialised.

While shareholders will likely be left with nothing, creditors, including suppliers and employees, will continue to be paid, Raymarine said. (Reporting by Victoria Bryan; Editing by Matt Scuffham) ($1=.6170 Pound)

Back