Should Oil and Lower Unit Fluid be changed after only using 9 hours since changed in October 2022?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I only ran the Yamaha 200 on my 2015 2120 SC 9 hours this summer sadly. The Oil and Lower Unit Fluid were changed last October as part of the 100 hour service and winterization before it went into storage in Michigan.

I dropped the boat off yesterday for winterization and storage at a different facility. They typically do an Oil and Lower Unit Fluid change as part of their winterization. It adds about $178. I told them not to do it - now I'm wondering if that was a mistake? Should I have them do it?

I only ran the Yamaha 200 on my 2015 2120 SC 9 hours this summer sadly. The Oil and Lower Unit Fluid were changed last October as part of the 100 hour service and winterization before it went into storage in Michigan.

I dropped the boat off yesterday for winterization and storage at a different facility. They typically do an Oil and Lower Unit Fluid change as part of their winterization. It adds about $178. I told them not to do it - now I'm wondering if that was a mistake? Should I have them do it?
After only 9 hours usage, it's probably ok, but still after about a year, I'd still say yes, change it; and I'd ask, why not do it yourself? Changing the engine oil and lower unit fluid are two of the easiest DIY items you can do on a boat, especially if the boats on a trailer, on land..... I change the engine oil with the boat on a lift using a very good quality extractor; after heating up the engine, it's less than a 15 minute job. The lower unit fluid is harder from the lift, but I do it using a 4' X 8' home-made work-raft. It's harder to do from the raft, but doable even for this old dude. I much-prefer doing the lower unit with the boat on land, on the trailer.

Last edited:
I change outboard engine oil after about 100 hours or about one year, whichever comes first. Do the same thing for vehicles.

I am strictly DIY for oil changes but $178 for a single engine is a good deal. It costs me about $160 for the oil and filter and gaskets (also including a fuel filter and gasket) for an F250.

With only nine hours of run time you would also be just fine waiting until later to change the oil. That oil is almost like the stuff in a new jug.

Capt Matt..... I'm pretty sure the foot oil change alone add's $178.00 to the bill is what he meant.

Changing the engine oil and lower unit fluid are two of the easiest DIY items you can do on a boat, especially if the boats on a trailer, on land

I'm with Andy. :)

Thanks to all for your replies. As I understood it, the engine oil and foot oil changes combined are $178. It sounds like this may be a good deal and maybe I should add it while they have it.

I plan to retire next year and should have the time and place to DIY.....assuming my old body cooperates!

Back