Shout Out f/ DaleH

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffnick

Reaction score
Thanks for turning me on to Raka epoxy. They ship the day I order and I get it the next day. Sooo easy to measure...consistent results.

Thanks again.

Raka ... the BEST value on the epoxy market, no pumps, simple 2-to-1 mix.

Dale... if there are no pumps, do you need to buy graduated cups to mix it?
When my West is gone, I'd like to try Raka, but I rather like the pumps because I can use cheap plastic beer cups to mix with, then just toss em.

Megabyte":3d5rtj0b said:
Dale... if there are no pumps, do you need to buy graduated cups to mix it?
When my West is gone, I'd like to try Raka, but I rather like the pumps because I can use cheap plastic beer cups to mix with, then just toss em.

I'm the same way, but I use the west cups you buy for like $1.

When the epoxy dries it just pops out, and the cup is ready to go again.

But you're right Kev, no pumps sounds like a PITA. Pumps make it easier in my opinion.

westepoxycuplabel-72comp.jpg

When the West pumps are new, in fresh containers, they're great. But when a pump gets sticky or the volume in the can is low and the pump looses prime, or you want to mix just a tiny amount, then the pump systems get tricky.

BTW, I like to use a pallet knife (like for oil paints) to mix and apply small batches of epoxy.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick ... 03115-1003

Interesting Nick.
I've been using the cheap flux brushes to mix and apply my un-thickened epoxy.

Bryan 2530":2o76qsmn said:
... no pumps sounds like a PITA. Pumps make it easier in my opinion.
You got to be :shock: kidding! What could be easier? Pick 2 of the SAME sized containers, and I've used anything from small cat food tins to 10-ounce yogurt containers and larger. Pick a siae suitable to give you enough to do your job.

Fill 1 to a "visible" target spot on the container with hardener, then pour into a mix pot. Fill other container to same line with resin, and pour into mix pot, then repeat, as you need 2 resins to 1 hardener. OMG ... it took me LONGER to write this than to actually do it ...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No mess, no pumps to purchase or clean - no nothing, and no PhD needed either ...

I have West epoxy setup in my shop and use it for various thing from tool repair, boat building, hovercrafts,etc.

I have the same pumps and probably the same cups for the last 2-3 years, no problems nothing.

Plus, I don't have to recycle anything or go digging through the trash to find cups of similar size.

To each his own I guess, but I'll stick to the pumps, never had a problem in over 10 years of using epoxy and I go through 2-5 gallons a year depending on the project.

Also, working with high school kids the pumps make mixing epoxy a no brainer. 8)

Bryan 2530":vmgqk7gn said:
To each his own I guess, but I'll stick to the pumps, never had a problem in over 10 years of using epoxy and I go through 2-5 gallons a year depending on the project.
True, to each their own for pumps vs. other mixing methods ... but you can't deny you're still paying twice as much for epoxy than you need to ;) . But, to each their own ...

Megabyte":115qkvgv said:
Interesting Nick.
I've been using the cheap flux brushes to mix and apply my un-thickened epoxy.

Good for scraping the sides of the mixing cup, measuring out doses of thickener, squeegeing epoxy into small spaces and scraping off excess. I cut the tip off one to make it flat.
IMAG1175.jpg

DaleH":2t6fn2k2 said:
Bryan 2530":2t6fn2k2 said:
True, to each their own for pumps vs. other mixing methods ... but you can't deny you're still paying twice as much for epoxy than you need to ;) . But, to each their own ...

I have used both Raka and West, agreed on the price though.

Cost of doing business. 8)

Back