side scan through hull transducer mounting location

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captmatt

Reaction score
I am getting ready to refresh the electronics on my single engine 23 DVCC. One planned upgrade is a Navico side scan transducer.

I am considering the through hull version of the transducer since I would like to avoid drilling a hole in the transom.

My 23 DVCC has a keel pad and I was thinking of mounting a side scan through hull there. But I do not want to create turbulence that will impact the water flow to the motor and propellor. Has anyone mounted a side scan through hull on the keel pad? Please share your experience.

Warthog mentioned on another thread through hull versions of side scan transducers to avoid transom holes and cables. I started this thread to avoid stepping on the topic of that thread.

Does it look like this?

cf-lg-29c41d06-2e85-4b47-ae21-6e0a0cb2c2e5.jpg

On a keel install.....You only use the actual X-Ducer.....The Gray part at the bottom of the fairing block. You'll be fine with that.

Yes, it looks similar with the metal transducer and the plastic fairing block. I was planning to mount it on the flat surface without the fairing block.

Do you have any pictures of an installed transducer?

Do that......No pix's. Ever since Photobucket went another way.....It's hard for me to post pix's.

Yea.....That makes it so you can view the pix.......But their site is doing all kinds of crap for uploading pix's.

I completed the install on my side scan transducer. The very bottom of the transducer is below the plane of the hull by about an inch. This placement works well. The side scan reads when the boat is on plane as does the down scan.

I drilled the holes for three 1" screws and for the cable clam, epoxy sealed all the holes and drilled again, and mounted using a dab of 3M 4200 on the screws.

(I have not yet had a chance to secure the cable but plan to use Weld Mount adhesive and a couple of small zip tie blocks.)

Attachments

• IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 70
I can see how flat that Keel is on that boat. I did one not long ago with a thru hull on a hull that shape.

Threw away the fairing block and mounted the X=ducer right on the hull. It Looks and works VERY well.

With a sharp angled Keel, you can't do it that way. There are a Bunch higher end of boats that have a flat on the keel.
In that case a X ducer can even be pocket mounted.

Back