Simrad Broadband 4G Radar?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelagic2530

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone on here have experience with the Simrad 4G radar system as installed on a small boat that they'd be willing to share? I've used it in the past as an auxiliary radar on a larger ship with horrible results; however it was a bad choice for the application (100'+ mounting height and lots of steel superstructure below it) and am wondering if the poor performance is just a result of that. (It was replaced with a Halo 6 unit that worked great). I've been very happy with the Simrad electronics on my CC and on friend's boats, but don't have any knowledge of the 4G radar unit other than listed above. If anyone has good or bad feedback on this particular system it would be very much appreciated!

I run a 2520 XLD on Lake Erie. Have 4G radar integrated with an EVO2 display. Very happy with the radar performance, picks up small channel markers, and has id'd birds

I have a Simrad 4G on my 23 DVCC. It is mounted on a 12" pedestal with a few degrees of down angle to compensate for the angle of attack when on plane.

I use it for nighttime navigation and collision avoidance and it works great in my experience. It picks up even small objects like crab trap buoys close to the boat when on close range. It is also useful to monitor weather fronts on longer range. It makes me feel much safer when fishing or traveling at night.

It is not useful for birds expect perhaps flocks you would be able to spot visually anyway.

Mine had a defect (collected water inside the dome). Simrad replaced it under warranty.

Latest posts

Back