Smart Rails for a Parker 23 SE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAVU

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Smart Rails for a 23 SE to stop or cut down on the spray.

They are nice boats but they sure are wet.

Here's a link to a Mako with the Smart Rail. Off the Smart Rail site.

http://www.thesmartrail.com/images/slid ... 1_mako.jpg

I have no interest in the Smart Rail company. I do have a friend who put a Smart Rail on a downeast boat and it works fantastic. I'm going to call Parker this week and ask if they have ever tried something like the Smart Rail. There has to be something that can be done to re-direct the bow spray on the 23 SE. This is a wet boat. I will let you all know what Parker says.

Hit Control and + to increase picture size if you look at the link.

I would love to install those if they would be "guaranteed" to work on a 23se i get soaked

pretty much whenever there is a wind coming accross the side i get soaked

i'm just being a baby probably but i do DISLIKE it very much

i also run the boat hard, and often in rough water

Well i am just gonna chime in just this once about wet and Parker's

They really dont mix....

ANY BOAT get wet if you are plowing into a rough sea but i bought a pilot house so i wouldn't have to worry that being said ...

Maybe some of you just bought the wrong model .......or your feminine
side is showing a little when u get wet........(AND YES I'M POKING FUN)

but seriously if i go 35-40 in my 2820 i don't get wet if conditiond are normal, but turn into a head sea with tight chop/short intervals and shit is a flying over the bow ............even at 26 mph.....so i slow to match the spped of the seas and/or intervals and yes sometimes that means 16 knots and then just like that the water stops coming over the sides.

i have friends one with a 36 regulator w triples and trust me we get wet
another has a grady 23 w a 9.6 beam and what do you know we get wet sometimes too.....

I also have a few commercial buddies one has a 42' downeast and it gets wet too if its rough .....

FishFactory":3eojhv6c said:
I've owned 3 Parkers including a 23SE and would never describe any of them as "wet".

I call "wet" as water coming over the bow or foreward quarters of boat.
I mated on a SeaCraft last weekend. Water sprayed over the bow, every other wave.....no Carolina Flare or (I imagine) reverse chines.

With my 23SE, when it's rough and beam sea, I couldn't run fast enough (without pounding) to outrun spray blown across gunnels and back into boat....is this what's happening to you ?

The 23 SE is a wet boat as designed. Yesterday on the Great South Bay, it was windy. I tried every way I could to see if I could stop the water from coming over the forward bow quarter. Waves were coughed out the windward side and lifted into the boat. Short of traveling way too slow, we could not stop the spray (term used lightly) and we were soaked with constant water running off the upper electronic box and into our faces.

I wanted to see if under the same conditions my 1974 22' Mako would be as wet as the Parker 23 SE and took it out upon returning to the dock. Not even close, the Mako was so much drier, the only water was the tears to my eyes thinking about getting rid of this boat. I don't understand why Mako stopped making this design and only offered a deeper vee model which doesn't fit our use. Their new "bay" boat is junk in my mind.

As for the comment: .......or your feminine side is showing a little when u get wet........(AND YES I'M POKING FUN). I do take this as levity and yes, I think I probably bought the wrong boat for our commercial use.

For those that say they don't get wet on a Parker 23 SE, you guys have to start to venture out past the mouth of the canal because this is a wet boat if you seriously want to fish it. LOL.

I'm not knocking the quality of the build and I like the style but the bow is heavy and coming off a wave, it plows blasting spray too high which allows the wind to lift it into the boat. It's too bad the Smart Rails are so pricey, it would be a good experiment to see if they would deflect enough water to help knock down the spray long enough for it to pass behind the console and driver instead of lifting it across the forward quarter and console.

As for Regulators and Contenders, I could care what they do. I'm trying to replace my trusty old 22' Mako which is relatively flat like the 23 SE in order to fish, clam and scallop the flats. I would buy a new 22 Mako in a NY Minute if it was still made but it's not and to rebuild this one would probably be cost prohibitive. Over the 35+ years of commercial use, it's exceeded it's life expectancy.

I will let you know what Parker's response is to questions about their trials to dry this boat out and if they ever tried the Smart Rail system or any other system. I've installed solid PVC spray rails before on my 36' BHM and they turn it into a totally different boat with respect to dryness, speed and stability. A small stick-on spray rail might do the trick for the 23 SE.

CAVU,
My 23SE gets pretty wet also. I came in last night with a 3' beam sea. Winds were blowing 15 to 20. My right leg was soaked. If I keep the bow up I tend not to get as wet. I know that Mathews Brothers that build the original Robbins deadrise are very similar in lines and they get very wet. Mathews Brothers had to change the forward chine and added spray rails to nearly eliminate spray. I'm interested in what Parker says about the spray issue. I had a canvaas enclosure made for my T-Top to help with the spray issues.

C. Blizzard
Eden, Maryland

ceblizzard":idhllahx said:
CAVU,
I had a canvaas enclosure made for my T-Top to help with the spray issues.

I have seen Charlies enclosure, and as I recall, it is pretty nice.

Not as all-encompassing as Walleye Petes 'phone booth' :) , but functional for most conditions.

Megabyte":267fykaq said:
ceblizzard":267fykaq said:
CAVU,
I had a canvaas enclosure made for my T-Top to help with the spray issues.

I have seen Charlies enclosure, and as I recall, it is pretty nice.

Not as all-encompassing as Walleye Petes 'phone booth' :) , but functional for most conditions.

Pete's old "phone booth"
ja13_002.jpg

Of course he has a new one now :wink:

For 5 years of running my 23SE, you cannot say it is any wetter than any other 23 foot center console. It is definitely more seaworthy for sure. Do you get wet, sometimes. Some a factor of the weather, some a factor of the operator.

Interesting. Some say it's wet and have to add enclosures. Some say it's not.

For those of you who are lucky enough to have the dry version of the 23 SE, I guess this thread is not for you.

For those of you who have the wet version of the 23 SE, let's see if we can find a way to fix or at least reduce the spray being blown back over the forward quarter without having to add some of the enclosures I have seen on CP.

Today, I talked to another 23 SE owner in my area with the wet version and he already planned to try the Smart Rails. Great for me, I don't have to risk the $600 if it doesn't work. We talked about how the bow plows at times and if the rail may inhibit the recovery. He wasn't worried and figured it was worth a try to dry the boat out. When he puts them on, I will post the results.

I too was out on the great south bay yesterday. 3 foot sea and it was a wet one. I put the canvas wings out and it took care of me getting soaked. The water was mostly from the spray from the 30 mph wind blowing it back on the boat. As for the smart rails, I had them on my 2500 hydrasport walkaround. They worked awesome. Easier to plane off and kept the spray to a minimum. My friend has the same boat 2500 center console and I helped him put them on. He was very happy with the outcome. I say give it a shot for $600 before selling the boat.

Ha, I got the wet version....I am putting some wings on this summer to protect from the spray....just trying to find the right guy to do it, comparing some prices.....HOWEVER, I am now very interested in the smart rails

In no way am I knocking the boat, by the way. Just saying I get wet...and it isn't operator problems over here.

I looked into it a few years ago and did not do it. I had an estimate by phone.

You see them on other boats. Look into it. I have a pilot house and I close all the windows on bad days as an interim step.

Dana

Here are some pictures of my canvas work. It was done by Cooler Canvas for Cooler Boats in Crisfield, Md.

C. Blizzard
Eden, Maryland

My 23SE definitely can throw some water. However that being said.... one I added the enclosure beam spray really didnt effect me. I am currently having the remainder of the enclosure finished off to make it a dog house with 2 zippered doors. I thought about adding the bat wings. I decided against them as I want to have quick access to my bow should I happen upon feeding palegics with a Stella 20K.

Can the 23SE be a wet ride? Sure but I dont think any 23 ft center console is a "dry ride'

Back