Smell of Gasoline in Bilge

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SommerTime

Reaction score
I own a Parker 2004 2520XL and was detecting a light smell of fuel when I lifted the hatch into the location of the batteries/battery switches and in the cabin after it had been closed up for a period of time. The maintenance techs at the marina plugged the fuel lines and pressurized the system. The net result was a replacement of the "fuel manager" and the caps that hold the water separators. Sorry but I may have the wrong terminology.

But at this point I am unable to smell the fuel and will keep my nose tuned for it this summer. The also noted and replace the deck hatches above the fuel tank. They said that the hatches where leaking water onto the top of the tank. I could see that the top of the tank was wet but sure if it was from the latches leaking on condensation. When the leak test was done there probably was no more than 30-50 gallons in the tank. It was desirable to have minimal amount of fuel in the tank when the leak test was performed. Thank goodness it wasn't the tank leaking. FYI I have 1150 hours on both engines. I have twin 150 Yamaha and a lot of the time I am running on one engine,i.e. when trolling, thus you can see I do a fair amount of running of the engines.

Another question came up; when the starboard engine is turned off and I am trolling on the port engine, I have only one set of gauges for twin engines, the "fuel usage meter" is not recording when I am trolling with the port engine and the starboard engine is turned off :cry:

It's getting power from the Starboard motor.

The fix is powering it with both......But a Diode will need to be installed in each power wire.

This will allow power to go to the meter, but not back feed up the other motors wiring that is shut down.

Warthog: Can you give an idea as to what size diode will be needed, i.e. voltage and current rating.

Thanks
SommerTime

HaHa.....Your gonna try and tax my brain.....aren't you? It's been so long since electronics school...I'd have to defer to folks that play with this stuff more.

I have a 1800cc, 1998 Parker and the service included the changing of the fuel water separator and he spilled gasoline into the bilge when it was changed.

Back