Spot GPS Tracker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv2fish

Reaction score
I just got a Spot GPS locator for my birthday from my wife and kids. I hunt and fish alone quite often so this will give her peace of mind. I created an account and tested the unit and it worked as advertised. I was able to track location and receive pre-programmed messages and texts to my wife's phone. Anyone use one of these? Any special considerations on getting the best out of this?

Steve

i got one for christmas and want to hook it up as well. The one I got works with an ipod or iphone so you can send txts as well. pretty cool

I got one for christmas a couple years ago mine works fine never had any issues the test the emergency button but the check in and track always work fine. I always just keep a second set of batteries with it .

I've tried it a couple of times on some fishing trips on the Potomac. Worked great. I looked at the ones that use a cell phone but my main concern was being in the water. I've learned that my cell phone can't handle water (guess how I found out). Is there still an emergency function if you don't have a cell phone?

The spot is a cool product but not a replacement for an epirb offshore. The USCG can not track a spot to your location. The Spot people will relay the position to the CG, but it is very difficult to find a boat or person in the water without the abiliy to track a distress signal, and most relayed positions are delayed by the time the asset is onscene.

We had several in use tracking vessels. They work reliably, and provide a "proof of location" for folks back in the office. We liked them, and the new ones that can run off external power look even more promising.

I did not mean to put the spot down or hijack the thread in my last post, I am actually thinking about getting one, especially if they are coming out with a hard wire model. I think it is a great piece of equipment for tracking location and giving piece of mind ashore, just not a primary emergency tool.

Can it be shut off without any kind of warning message being sent??

Sometimes I really don't want people knowing where I am. 8)

Bryan 2530":1eeeqpyy said:
Can it be shut off without any kind of warning message being sent??

Sometimes I really don't want people knowing where I am. 8)

Yep, you can turn it off & no one will know.. You can also have it on and not in the tracking mode and only send a self prepared message, checking in, if you want. As I usually don't have good cell phone service where I come back in, I send the "I'm ok and at the dock, see you in a while" message to the family to let them know I made it back to land & I'm on the way home. For an inexpensive device, it's a pretty good deal. It's also a good backup for the EPIRB... set them both off if you need them - double your chances!!!

Back