Spray Shield, or Flip Up Xducer Bracket, for rooster tail?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersey Jim

Reaction score
Expecting delivery end of August on the new 2120SC, but don't want to waste a lot of time when it arrives, fitting the "torpedo" shaped Scanning transducer. I hear they can create a significant rooster tail spray. Have been reading posts about how spray from various sources, some known, some unknown, can get under the cowling, starting corrosion. So trying to plan for the worst. Has anyone mounted any sort of spray-shield ABOVE a transducer to deflect this? Or how about some form of retractable transducer mount for when not needed under way? Just how badly do these things spray?

I have a Garmin 74SV with the GT41-TM transducer. I get a slight rooster tail but not as bad as some videos I've seen on other boating sites. The spray from mine doesn't reach the cowling seal. I also don't reach the cruising speeds of the boats I've seen with the problem so I may be avoiding the problem by not being able to run as fast. The problem I have though is the spray coming over the transom into the splash well. The fact that the new transducer is creating a situation that I didn't have before is a problem.

My plan is to create a shield from a piece of tub surround or other thin strong material. Depends on what I can get my hands on for cheap. Garmin sells a shield for $19.99 which I think is BS considering their design is causing the issue. Garmin wouldn't acknowledge the issue at first. They played it off as an installation problem. But now they sell a design that is nearly identical to a DIY design developed on another boating forum.

I've only researched the Garmin issue since that's the unit I own. It's real. I can't speak to other manufacturers since I was only interested in the Garmin fix.

I just got got the 74 DV on my 18 and the spray comes up to the cowl just bought the spray deflector for it but I haven't gotten it on yet. I might just get a through hull and install over the winter. I hate the way that torpedo of a transducer looks hanging off the back of the boat.

camron":36ngggym said:
.... I hate the way that torpedo of a transducer looks hanging off the back of the boat.

yes, but I bet you love the images you get! Can you tell me if you are using the 800 kHz transducer selection? And if so, how deep does it give good superior images over 455 kHz? Does 800 work well down to 80-100 feet deep salt water?

I have a torpedo transducer to order very soon, but not sure if should go with the 260/455 unit, or the 455/800 kHz model. Will definitely get their spray deflector for twenty bucks while at it. If I weren't trailering occasionally, I wouldn't go with transom-mount either.

I acctually havnt used it in more than a couple feet of water so far. I hope to get to one of the wreaks that are in about 70 feet to see how it works

camron":2noxfohc said:
I acctually havnt used it in more than a couple feet of water so far. I hope to get to one of the wreaks that are in about 70 feet to see how it works
Do you have pics of the transducer install? Say, the cable entry on both sides of the transom, and how it was routed to the helm?

My GT41-TM transducer installation on a stern saver.

The transducer cable was fed through the cable hole on the starboard/aft corner under the deck up through the collar inside the helm. I was replacing an old transducer so I attached the new transducer cable to the old cable as a pull for easier feeding.

The bottom paint was sanded down to the gel coat for the stern saver installation. An speedo wheel was installed next to the old transducer. Those have been plugged and epoxied.

The second pic shows the cable over the transom notch. I followed the path of the previous transducer. I used new cable ties and drilled out the transom screw holes to clear the old silicone caulk. I reattached the cable tie mounts with 3M 5200.

Attachments

• IMG_20160725_115629063v2.jpg
    IMG_20160725_115629063v2.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20160725_115637102_HDRv2.jpg
    IMG_20160725_115637102_HDRv2.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 164
Spinning Reel":1ietdya1 said:
My GT41-TM transducer installation on a stern saver....
Nice install. I didn't know those stern savers came in black as well as white. Hey, do you get any high rooster-tail spray when under way? Also, do you hold bottom-depth reading while on plane pretty well with that transducer?

I see your transducer is a selectable 260/455 khz. Am trying to get someone to chime in who uses the 455/800 khz, like GT40-TM or GT50-TM. I'd like to know how deep the 800 khz give clear images down to. Hopefully almost 100'. What sonar do you use the GT41 on?

My response is above to your inital post.

" I get a slight rooster tail but not as bad as some videos I've seen on other boating sites. The spray from mine doesn't reach the cowling seal. I also don't reach the cruising speeds of the boats I've seen with the problem so I may be avoiding the problem by not being able to run as fast. The problem I have though is the spray coming over the transom into the splash well. The fact that the new transducer is creating a situation that I didn't have before is a problem."

I hold bottom up to max speed which is 32mph with passengers and gear. The deepest I've read is 64 feet and the screen was reading as it should. I mainly use the combination screen of mapping and traditional sonar. I've played with the sideview and downview but haven't dailed them in. I'll be on the boat this coming weekend and can tell you the khz. Though they should be at default as I haven't changed any settings. The unit is new to me as of the spring.

I installed the black Stern Saver thinking at some point I'd repaint the bottom and would somewhat match. Had the bottom not been painted, I would have chosen the ivory one as it is closest to the 2005 Parker color.

Spinning Reel":ezgnh5od said:
My response is above to your inital post.
Yes it is :oops: Too many days gone by, and too many follow ups. I was glad to see your first reply last week. I'll prob go with the stern save too, if they seem to hold up with such a large transducer.
You have the same boat I started out with, & fell in love with. I miss that boat! Just not a boat for all seasons up here in the NE.

Put a thru-hull in!!

I went with a GT21 for my 741xs on my 2320, nice large torpedo shape.

Mine is installed on the port side just about even with the back wall of the pilot house.

Have to say it never loses bottom.......even up to 40mph.

willyk9":2hjyncc4 said:
Put a thru-hull in!!
I would love to, and just be done with it, but want the option to trailer occasionally. Those things look so bulky, and I was told would interfere with trailer rollers. If so, I would have to get the pair of them, since I'm using a 21 degree hull, and would like to use Side-Vue. I see your using DownVue only with that transducer, along with traditional FF. I'm planning to take advantage of all 3 CHIRP modes, and in the higher 800 khz frequencies. So for a TH pair, I would need the GT50M-THP at almost $1500! But would much rather have it mounted under the boat, if were made flush. Then I would go for it.

Back