Sta Bil Question for Yamaha 115 Four Stroke

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottp3

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha 115 Four Stroke on my Parker 1801. I only use Ethanol free gas in this engine. The engine just went over 100 hours and I have taken it in for the reccomended service.

I plan to use the boat for 4-6 hours a month through the winter here in VA on the Chesapeake Bay and was asking my repair tech if I should put Sta Bil in the fuel for the winter...and he said I should be putting Sta Bil in the gas year round.

My questions : Should I be using Sta Bil year round on a 4 stroke running on Ethanol free fuel? Should I be using other products in the fuel given the decreased useage in the winter months?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Scott

I use startron and yamaha ring free at every fill up. But that's just me.

I think at the very least you should be using Startron or one of the many comparative products out there.

I just spent the last hour looking through old posts about this subject and it seems there are varied opinions that have been voiced...so didn't mean to reinvent the wheel!

But I do appreciate your response...and any others for that matter.

My tank is already full on non-ethanol fuel for the winter...so I guess I just need to toss in the additives now.

SP

I also use Sta-Bil in my tank year-round. I also use Yamaha's ring free. I had two different mechanics at two different dealerships recommend "ring free".

Scottp3":2wvs4ks7 said:
I plan to use the boat for 4-6 hours a month through the winter here in VA on the Chesapeake Bay and was asking my repair tech if I should put Sta Bil in the fuel for the winter...and he said I should be putting Sta Bil in the gas year round.

Your mechanic is right. Use StaBil at every fill-up and you'll be safe all year round.

In my case, I use StaBil, StarTron, and Ringfree at every fill-up.
Coming back in from fishing on Monday, I ran her at WOT to clean her out, and ran 33.6kts @ 5100 rpm.
That is with a single 1997 225hp OX66 pushing a 2520 MVSC in calm water on an end-of-season bottom.
That is a single 13 year old motor pushing 8000 pounds of boat over 33 knots.

Do fuel amendments work?
You will have to decide for yourself, but I intend to keep using the formula that got me this far. :wink:

Capt. Kevin...that sounds like a boat on "roids"! Think I will start injecting my baby too! Appreciate the comments guys!

I have the 115 4-stroke Yamaha on my 1801 as well. I fish the lower chesapeake and her tributaries year-'round. I had the same question "Should I use fuel stabilizer?". The engine has about 300 hours and I heve never used anything but 87 octane w/ ethanol gas and it has not hiccuped once. I do keep the engine on a tight maintenance schedule and change the separator. My feelings right now are not to use stabilizer since I am using the boat all year. Maybe I am just lucky because I have a friend who has had nothing but problems w/ his 115 but I am not sure of his fuel cell construction.

Scottp3":2ufl2n07 said:
Capt. Kevin...that sounds like a boat on "roids"! Think I will start injecting my baby too! Appreciate the comments guys!

FWIW - The Admiral and I went fishing on Sunday and when I brought her back into the upper creek, I ran my customary WOT for about a mile.
She ran 34.5 kts @ 5100 RPM, and the speed was witnessed by the Admiral.
Both the air and the water is a little cooler now, and I'm down to about 60 gallons of fuel, but I'm happy with her performance! :D

Back