Status of the striped bass stocks?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think we are in dire straights but in need of a reduction to ensure sustainability and better abundance. I think ASMFC just did that so hopefully we will see a change in the decline we have been witnessing. Abundance is important because it is angler success which drives participation and participation is how our economy benefits from the resource.

Good thing is that fish in the 24-32" range have been in abundance in the Chesapeake this year. We have had some very hot action over the last month, yesterday included. There was also an abundance of undersized fish all summer in the bay so hopefully it bodes well for the future.

Personally I wish they would make the [striped bass] commercial fisheries in the bay hook and line only.

B-Faithful":33yhw8q5 said:
Good thing is that fish in the 24-32" range have been in abundance in the Chesapeake this year. We have had some very hot action over the last month, yesterday included. There was also an abundance of undersized fish all summer in the bay so hopefully it bodes well for the future.

We don't see Striper down here at the mouth of the bay during summer months. They're not in season in VA, but think the coastal seas is still open. If you happen to catch one, you could keep it. The bay season got off to a slow start down here and was hit and miss. Coastal season never got hot. It mirrored the last two years. Guys offshore, past the three mile line catch then when fishing for other fish, but we're not seeing them inshore, let alone in the bay.

This past weekend was gorgeous. Temp hit 57 and waters were calm. Friend took a pic of his wife at the beach, with the ocean in the background. Not a single boat to be seen in that picture which due to the angle, captured several miles of coastline.

I kind of like this lack of fish thing. It hides my poor fishing. ;-)

They never showed in the Del. Bay this fall. I didn't fill a single tag and they cut my quota by one quarter for 2015 also. There was bunker in the bay but..no stripers. They'll be back.

Back